CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159838
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159838.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 20:10:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sedgefield
National Grid Reference:
NZ 42116 29848

Details

NZ 42 NW SEDGEFIELD EMBLETON

8/33 Church of St. Mary 9/1/68 (previously listed in the Civil Parish of Embleton) II

Redundant church. Medieval but largely rebuilt in 1860. Mainly rubble with mid C19 dressed limestone quoins, window and door surrounds; Welsh slate roof. Continuous, aisleless 4-bay nave and chancel. Early English style lancets have alternating jambs, chamfered reveals and pointed hoodmoulds. West end has tooled- and-margined quoins and paired lancets; west gable has round-arched open stone bellcote. South wall: west bay has C19 boarded door in moulded, pointed arch under hoodmould; 3 lancets to east. North wall has 2 lancets (4 blocked round arches were discovered during 1860 reconstruction). East end has group of 3 stepped lancets. Roof has slightly-swept eaves. Interior has octagonal stone font and 5 roof trusses with arch-braced collars.

Listing NGR: NZ4211629848

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
112146
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01208/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Wilcockson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].