CEDDESFELD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1160001
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
CEDDESFELD HALL, RECTORY ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CEDDESFELD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160001 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 07:12:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CEDDESFELD HALL, RECTORY ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sedgefield
National Grid Reference:
NZ 35659 28744

Details

NZ 3528 SEDGEFIELD RECTORY ROW (South side, off) Ceddesfeld Hall (previously 13/51 listed as "Rectory") 29/4/52

GV II

Former Rectory now Community Hall. 1793 for the Rev. George Barrington. Painted, pebble-dashed masonry; Welsh slate roof with rendered chimneys. 2-storey, 5-bay entrance front has low plinth; bays 2 and 4 projecting. Entrance front: central, 6-panel double door, with 3-pane side lights, in pilaster surround, has large semicircular fanlight with radial glazing bars. Raised tablet above door has inscription to Bishop Shute Barrington of Durham (died 1826). Left bay has replaced double door and radial fanlight in recessed, round-arched wall panel; flanking 3-pane side lights. Right bay has 9-pane sash with radial head in identical wall panel. Other windows are 12-pane sashes with projecting sills; sill to central window dated MDCCXCIII. 2 small shields bearing the Barrington arms. Low-pitched roof has projecting eaves and is hipped over bays 2 and 4; 2 groups of truncated ridge chimneys. 2-storey,5-bay garden front has low plinth. Projecting, pedimented 3-bay centre has elongated 15-pane sashes to ground floor, 12-pane sashes above and oculus in tympanum. Flanking one-bay wings have shallow segmental bow windows with pilasters and 12-pane sashes; single 12-pane sashes above. Roof similar to entrance front. Pedimented right return to entrance front has 12-pane sashes and oculus in tympanum. Modernised interior has several 8-panel internal window shutters; 6-panel doors in moulded surrounds; 3-flight, open-well, cut-string staircase with stick balusters supporting a wreathed and ramped handrail; small square-headed fireplace in entrance hall.

L-plan service wing, attached to left of entrance front, now 2 private houses (see entries for Shute House and Barrington Lodge).

Listing NGR: NZ3566128741

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
112166
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01208/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Wilcockson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].