CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1160018

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160018 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 04:24:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Hambleden

National Grid Reference: SU 78399 86604

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 78 NE HAMBLEDEN HAMBLEDEN VILLAGE

6/93 Church of St. Mary 21.6.55

GV II*

Parish church. C12 cruciform church, much altered C13 and C14. W. tower rebuilt 1721 after collapse of central tower, then raised and altered 1882 by Woodyer. Chancel aisles and N. vestry added 1859, as dated on rainwater heads, the N. chancel aisle incorporating part of E. aisle to N. transept. Late C19 S. porch and extensive restorations. Flint and chalk with stone dressings, tiled roofs. W. tower has octagonal corner buttresses with C19 stone dressings and small battlemented roof turrets with weathervanes. Battlemented parapet above ashlar frieze with alternately blind and louvred cusped niches. Large 3-light windows with plate tracery to belfry, lancets below, 2-light traceried W. window. Nave has 2 bays of restored C14 2-light traceried windows, small blocked N. door with 2- centred arch and hoodmould,and richly moulded C14 S. door, restored, in gabled timber porch. W. wall of N. transept retains 2-light window with plate tracery, and re-set C12 blocked doorway with roll-moulded arch on shafts with carved capitals. Other transept windows are C19, the S. transept with large 4-light traceried window to S. Chancel aisles have single lights with traceried heads, and traceried E. windows. Chancel has 2-light traceried N. and S. windows, and restored 3-light Perpendicular window to E. Below E. window is a blocked 3-light rectangular window. Interior: triple chamfered arch to tower, C19 moulded arches to transepts and chancel. N. transept has crown post roof, blocked doorway with semi- circular arch at S.W. end, segmental arched recess at N. end, and restored 2-bay C13 E. arcade with double chamfered arches on large circular pier. Matching arcades between chancel and aisles, the N. aisle now organ chamber, the S. aisle a chapel. Restored Cl4 ogee piscina and triple sedilia, of chalk, with crockets and carved heads. Fitting: C12 cylindrical font with floriated crosses in lozenge panels; C16 carved wooden panels incorporated in altar in S. transept. Monuments: Perpendicular dresser tomb much restored, in chancel; fine wall monument with carved kneeling figures of Cope D'Oyley 1633, wife Martha 1618, 5 sons and 5 daughters, in bay to E. of N. transept; marble tablet to John Greene 1687, with weeping putti on broken pediment, in N. transept; monument in tower to Raffe Scrope 1572, with stepped pediment on Ionic columns. C17 and C18 cartouches in nave; various C15-C17 brasses. RCHM I p. 184- 186.

Listing NGR: SU7839986604

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 46745

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

End of official listing