CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1160360
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160360.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 02:21:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hook
National Grid Reference:
SE 75908 25500

Details

HOOK CHURCH LANE SE 72 NE (south side)

9/72 Church of St Mary 14.2.67

- II* Church. C14 and C15, heavily restored in C19. Ashlar and brick, plain tile roof. 3-bay aisled nave with north vestry and south porch, 2-bay chancel. West front: 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery, and 2-light bellcote above. Nave south side: C19 porch with pointed doorway to central bay. Single-light trefoil-cusped square-headed window to left, with a similar pair to right and a small square-headed window to extreme right. Nave north side: vestry to central bay. Trefoil-cusped square-headed windows throughout. Chancel: C19 boiler house and 3-light trefoiled square headed window to north side. South side has C19 organ chamber breaking forward and containing 2 small lancets flanked by pairs of narrow trefoil- cusped square-headed windows. East end: C19 three-light window with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: double chamfered arcade on octagonal columns. Monument in chancel to Elizabeth Godfrey, died 1766. Marble plaque with cherub's head below and Greek key frieze above supporting damaged pediment. Graveslab set into nave floor to.George Empson, died 1677. Richly carved border and fine lettering with Empson arms below. Also plain slab to William Godfrey, died 1782. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: the West Riding, 1959.

Listing NGR: SE7590825500

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165300
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - The West Riding, (1959)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/02439/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Roworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].