CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160841.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:39:40.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 24518 25500
KEYINGHAM CHURCH LANE
TA 22 NW
2/20 Church of St Nicholas
Parish church. C12-C13 nave; late C13 nave arcades, chancel and tower (the latter partly rebuilt in late C14 - early C15); C14 chapel, C15 porch and clerestory. Chancel restored in 1885 by Ecclesiastical Commissioners; restorations of 1888-93 by F S Brodrick included re-roofing, re-seating. North aisle restored 1914. Spire removed and parapet rebuilt in 1969. Random cobbles to nave, south aisle, west wall of north aisle and sides of porch; limestone ashlar to tower, north aisle, south chapel and porch front; pebbledashed chancel; red brick clerestory with ashlar parapet. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and north door, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay chapel of St Michael adjoining to south. 4-stage tower: plinth, angle buttresses with offsets to first 3 stages, moulded string courses between stages. First stage: small blocked pointed hollow-chamfered north door. Second stage: pointed west window with restored Y-tracery, original hoodmould and head stops. Plain third stage with line of former nave gable to east. Pointed belfry openings with remains of former Y-tracery, hoodmoulds and headstops, C20 wooden louvres. Coped parapet. Nave: plinth, single buttresses to west end with former roofline visible above. North aisle: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets to angles and between bays; pointed moulded door, pointed 3-light north and east windows with Perpendicular tracery, partly restored to north. South aisle: chamfered plinth, single west buttress, square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled windows with moulded reveals and restored mullions; moulded string course, coped parapet. Clerestory: partly-restored square-headed 2-light cinquefoiled windows, moulded string course, coped ashlar parapet (repaired with brick to north-east). Chancel: chamfered plinth to south, angle buttresses, quoins; 2 pointed Y-traceried windows with restored mullions, and single small square-headed 2-light trefoiled window to north; 2 similar square-headed 2-light windows and a square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled window with restored mullions to south; pointed 5-light east window with double-chamfered reveal, restored moulded intersecting tracery, original hoodmould and headstops; re-set carved heads above; C19 string course, coped parapet. South chapel: moulded plinth, buttresses with gabled coping, one to south incorporating carved gargoyle; restored moulded sill string course, square-headed 2-light rounded-trefoiled south windows with double-chamfered reveals and partly-restored moulded mullions, similar 3-light east window with plain mullions; graveslab of 1825 attached to east wall over blocked entrance. Porch: moulded plinth, pointed moulded outer arch with square ashlar tablet above bearing shield in quatrefoil, moulded string course, coped parapet; pointed hollow-chamfered inner arch. Interior. Small segmental-headed tower door with pointed Y-traceried window above in deeply-splayed reveal. Pointed double-chamfered nave arcades on quatrefoiled piers with plain moulded capitals and square bases, the later north piers more slender. Tall pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with inner order dying into chamfered jambs, the north side cutting a small round-arched recess, perhaps a C12 entrance to rood-loft. Chancel: 2-bay south arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches with continuous chamfers to central pier, chamfers dying into responds; blocked segmental-headed door and section of former pointed 2-light window to north wall; trefoiled piscina with mutilated bowl. South aisle has pointed double-chamfered arch to chapel. Chapel: image bracket and blocked door to east, C19 piscina. C19 roofs throughout: 4-bay nave roof has cranked tie-beams with king and queen posts, pierced trefoiled panels and carved pendants, and corbelled wall posts with arch braces and carved spandrels. Monuments: black marble floor slab in chancel to John Angell of 1647 with Latin inscription and incised arms in cartouche; marble bracket with carved apron in chancel for marble wall tablet re-set in north aisle to the same John Angell, of 1647, with Latin inscription in shouldered and eared architrave, foliate ornament, and open segmental pediment carrying carved and painted achievement in cartouche; marble wall tablets in south aisle to Edward Ombler of 1802 with fluted pilasters and draped urn, and to Edward Ombler of 1825 with carved pediment and arms. Good C13 font with large cylindrical bowl bearing arcading of pointed Y-traceried trefoiled arches. South aisle contains re- set carved wooden roof corbels, probably C15, with faces, foliage, fleur-de- lys etc. C16-C17 wrought-iron hour-glass stand beside pulpit with hour glass in wooden holder. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 291. Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 63-4.
Listing NGR: TA2451625499
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 63-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 291
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing