COLWORTH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1160878
Date first listed:
07-May-1952
Statutory Address:
COLWORTH HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLWORTH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160878 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 11:16:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLWORTH HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bedford (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sharnbrook
National Grid Reference:
SP 98100 60108

Details

SHARNBROOK COLWORTH ESTATE SP 965E 2/450 Colworth House 7.5.52 - II*

Country house with compact main wing of 1714-20, replacement side wings with link blocks of 1770s, linked outbuildings of 1811 and 1890s, rear elevations altered 1890s. Coursed limestone and ashlar, slate roofs. Main wing of three storeys: garden front of three bays with ashlar quoins, central of three windows breaking forward slightly, side ones each of two windows. Pediment of 1770 over central bay with Lee motto and arms; frieze with patera, dentil course. Second floor has segmental headed windows, first and ground floor square-headed, the latter taller; all sashes with glazing bars. Single storey link blocks to two storey side wings: L.H. has three first floor windows and two ground floor ones flanking large square bay window. R.H. has four windows each floor. At extreme R.H. is pair of single storey outbuildings with central archway similar to that at Twin Lodges. Interior of main wing mostly converted for offices, but neo-Rococo staircase of 1811 survives.

Listing NGR: SP9810060108

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
37201
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/16104/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].