CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1161002
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161002.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Apr-2021 at 04:46:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Marsworth
National Grid Reference:
SP 91991 14603

Details

SP 91 SW MARSWORTH CHURCH LANE

6/91 Church of All Saints

18.10.66

GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 S. aisle, formerly nave, C14 nave, chancel and S. chapel. C15 alterations and W. tower, the latter incorporating older masonry. All very much restored 1882-91 by Rev. F.W. Ragg who was also responsible for the decoration of the chancel. Limestone, clunch and flint,mostly chequered. Lead roofs except for tiled chancel. W. tower of 3 stages has plinth, angle buttresses and rebuilt parapet. 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber, paired except to south. S. side has cusped niche to second stage, W. side has 3-light cusped window over doorway with old moulded surround and C19 carved spandrels. Nave has battlemented parapet, C19 corbel table with carved fleurons, and octagonal turret for rood-loft stairs at E, end. Perpendicular windows, 3-light to left, 2-light to right. C19 N. porch. Chancel is of rubble stone and has elaborate C19 4-light traceried window. S. aisle has battlemented parapet, 3-light Perpendicular window to right, much restored, and C19 gabled timber porch with tiled roof. S. chapel has parapet with C19 carved friezes, a 4-light traceried window to E., and 2 3-light windows to S., the left with Y tracery, the right Perpendicular. Interior: Tower arch is triple chamfered, the inner orders on semi-octagonal piers with C13 stiff-leaf capitals. Tower also contains other fragments of old masonry. 3-bay arcade between nave and S. aisle has double chamfered arches, broach- stopped, on octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. 4-centred arched openings to rood loft and stairs in nave. S. aisle has arched recess in S. wall. Both nave and aisle have C15-C16 roofs, restored, with moulded cross beams. Arches to chancel, and chapel were remodelled C19 and rest on shaft corbels with richly carved foliage bases and caps, those to chancel with carved heads of virtues. Chancel has similar ornamental shafts to each corner and centre of N. wall. Other C19 decoration of chancel includes arched panels filled with carved foliage ornament along N. wall and in window reveals, and blind trefoil arcade above choir stalls. 2 arches to S. chapel are similar to nave arcade, the E. arch old, the other totally restored. Elaborate cusped piscina in S. chapel. C19 fittings, the pulpit on a re-sited C14 stone capital carved with angels. Monuments: altar tomb in S. chapel with carved alabaster panels, pilasters with incised figures on black marble tablets, and brass panel at one end with scene of reclining knight surrounded by mourning family, signed "Evesham fecit"; parts of brass to Nicholas? and family 1585; brass to Edmond West; marble wall tablets to members of the Seare family 1773, 1792 and 1807. RCHM II p. 193-5.

Listing NGR: SP9199114603

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
42076
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05768/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nick Jarvis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].