WEAVER HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1161095
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1969
Statutory Address:
WEAVER HALL, 162, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEAVER HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 00:58:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEAVER HALL, 162, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Northwich
National Grid Reference:
SJ 65825 73142

Details

SJ 67 SE NORTHWICH C.P. LONDON ROAD (West Side)

5/36 No. 162 (Weaver Hall)

8/7/69

II

Workhouse, later old people's hospital, now Salt Museum and County Council Museums' Service headquarters, 1837, by George Latham, altered. Flemish bond brown brickwork; grey slate roof. 2 storeys, 13 windows plus later 2-storey extension left; of the older part the original building is symmetrical, of 9 windows, with a slightly later wing of 4 windows to right of similar materials and style. Slightly projecting 2-storey 3 window porch with broken pediment and projecting datestone on gable: AD 1837; square clock turret above with pyramidal roof carrying weather vane. Painted stone plinth; upper storey cill band; small-pane wood cross-casements under gauged brick flat arches; 4-panel door with plain oblong overlight. 3 brick chimneys. Rear wing, formerly larger, altered. Early C20 Vernacular Revival extension of dark red brick has cross-gables left and to right of flat-roofed 1-storey porch; 2 storey canted bay window right; 2-pane sashes; 3-panel double doors in round-arched opening; gauged brick flat arches to windows; 6 shaped red brick chimneys. Interior: C19 portion wholly altered; C20 left wing contains former Board Room with 3-panel wide double doors, coved ceiling and carved fireplace.

Listing NGR: SJ6582573142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57631
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/01109/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].