The Guildhall

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1161664
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1967
Statutory Address:
The Guildhall, 36, High Street

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161664.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2021 at 17:39:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Guildhall, 36, High Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Barrington
National Grid Reference:
TL 39303 49687

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/09/2020

TL 3949 17/22

BARRINGTON HIGH STREET (North Side) No. 36 (The Guildhall)

22.11.67 GV II Cottage. Probably 1657. Timber framed, lath and plaster rendered and long straw thatch roof, half hipped. Red brick ridge stack of grouped shafts set diagonally. Single range and four bay plan with lobby-entry. One storey and attic. Three gable dormers. Four casements, including two with leaded lights. Two panelled door to lobby.

Inside. Main beam in one room is inscribed '18 Day of February 1657', '1656 and 'WM 1712'. Abutting inglework hearths. Inserted ceiling in the west end of the cottage. Side purlin roof. Ceiling with ogee moulded stop chamfer to mainbeam. This and other cottages on the north side of the High Street form an encroachment on the Green probably begun c.1650.

Listing NGR: TL3930349687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
52067
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 147
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01880/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ian D Wilson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].