CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1161743
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LIVERPOOL ROAD WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161743.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:41:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LIVERPOOL ROAD WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Church Lawton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 82164 55759

Details

CHURCH LAWTON C.P. (Off) LIVERPOOL ROAD SJ 85 NW WEST

7/24 Church of All Saints 14/2/1967 - II*

Church. Romanesque door surround of C11 or C12. Perpendicular tower of before 1555 and neo-classical nave of 1803. Red and yellow sandstone ashlar to tower and porch. Flemish bond brick with a plain tile roof. Western tower, nave and south-western porch. Tower: western face: diagonal buttresses to the corners. Deeply chamfered doorway with pointed arch, hood mould and label stops. Three-light window above probably of C19 date with three pointed lights. Staircase lancets to right of this. Two-light louvred belfry opening above with Y-tracery, hood-mould and figurehead label stops, that at right being a grotesque head. Battlemented parapet with piers to the corners. The north face of the tower has a C20 service lean-to attached to its lower stage and a string course between the stages. Similar belfry to that on the western front. The southern face has the initials I B divided by a chalice in relief at right above the string course and a circular clockface to the centre below the belfry opening. Nave: the south face is of 4 bays of brick with a deep stone plinth with, to the left hand side, a porch built as a war memorial in 1926 of ashlar. This is gabled with a pointed, chamfered arch. Within and to either wall are benches above which are tablets in pointed niches inscribed with the names of the dead. The door to the church has a Romanesque surround, apparently re-positioned here. To either side are pilarettes with a hollow chamfer to their centres. At the level of the capitals is a band of leaf and dart moulding and to the arch and intrados are chevron patterns. To right of the porch are two round-arched windows and to the far right a doorway with stone surround and lunette window above. The north face is similar with 2 round-headed windows at left and two windows at right with a blocked doorway to right of centre. The western end has a Venetian window and hipped roof and a blocked doorway at right. Interior: Western gallery with front of raised and fielded panels supported on iron columns of quatrefoil section.

Listing NGR: SJ8216455759

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
56495
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/183574
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42762

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/02964/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J M Pickering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].