CHURCH OF SAINT MAWNAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1161760
Date first listed:
10-Jul-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MAWNAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MAWNAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161760.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:04:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MAWNAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mawnan
National Grid Reference:
SW 78774 27234

Details

SW 72 NE MAWNAN MAWNAN

9/213 Church of Saint Mawnan

10.7.57

GV II*

Parish church, C13 chancel, C14 tower foundation, otherwise rebuilt and extended in the C15; restored circa 1830 and again in 1880. Killas rubble with granite dressings and granite ashlar to the upper parts of the tower. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gables at the east end. Plan: Nave, chancel west tower, north aisle and south aisle. The chancel is partly C13 (at least the south wall); it was heightened in the C19. The tower base is probably C14 but largely rebuilt or heightened with granite ashlar in the C15. The south aisle was enlarged and partly or wholly rebuilt in the C19. The north aisle is largely C15 and still has its original windows and carved wallplate of former C15 waggon roof. Apart from this wallplate, the roofs were replaced in the C15. Exterior: C15 2-stage west tower has steep 4-centred arched west doorway and C15 window with C19 Perpendicular style tracery over. There is a stair turret in the north-west corner of the tower to the lower stage only. The upper stage has original 2-light traceried windows with slate louvred lights. Original embattled parapet has crocketted corner pinnacles. North aisle has C19 pointed arched doorway and C15 windows. The 3-light east window and the three 2-light windows in the north wall have trefoil-head lights with quatrefoil tracery over. The cusps of the lights have bosses (compare Church of Saint Winwalow, Gurwalloe). The west window has C19 tracery. Set into this wall is a medieval crosshead. South wall of chancel has C13 lancet window. Otherwise the windows of the church are C19 in Perpendicular style. Interior: C13 features: the foil-headed piscina with hoodmould with carved head stops in south wall of chancel; carved head at the west end of the north aisle. C14 features: pointed tower arch on moulded imposts; tower stair. C15 features; 6- bay 4-centred arched arcades between nave/chancel and aisles; the north arcade has piers with 4 shafts engaged to a round centre (3 western bays are C19 copies); the south arcade piers have 4 round shafts with fillets between. There are sections of C15 carved wallplate in the north aisle. Otherwise most of the features are C19, the walls have C19 or C20 plaster, the roofs are arch-braced over the nave and chancel and there are simple waggon roofs over the aisles. Tower interior not inspected. Fittings: C15 octagonal granite font; C15 fragment of base of former rood screen with original paint, attached to west end of north aisle; there is another fragment behind the pulpit. At the west end of the north wall are 2 strips of wood inscribed: Gilbertus Randall fecit Anno DNI: 1684. There is some C19 coloured glass in the east chancel window Monuments: C13 coffin slab with floriated cross set into floor near the front; marble wall monument on south wall to Mary, only daughter of the Rev John Rogers, Rector of this parish, died 1827 aged 36, erected by her husband. Sources: Church guide.

Listing NGR: SW7877427234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66198
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of Saint Mawnan Church Guide

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09760/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rod Allday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].