CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1161842
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161842 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 22:11:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bempton
National Grid Reference:
TA 19109 72099

Details

TA 17 SE BEMPTON CHURCH LANE (east side)

6/14 Church of St Michael 30.6.66 GV II *

Church. Early C13 nave arcades, C14 west tower, chancel 1829, C19 south porch. Major restorations 1870, 1906. Ashlar, brick chancel partly pebble dashed, slate roofs. 2-bay chancel, 4-bay aisled nave, south porch, and west tower. Chancel south wall has 2 windows of 3 round- headed lights under square head, round-headed south door between with datestone 1829 over. Plain 3-light square-headed window with mullions in north wall. 5-light east window with 3 round-headed lights above, under pointed arch with hood-mould. Nave windows have C19 cusped tracery. South clerestory has circular windows with cusped cross- tracery: on the north side, 2-light windows under flat heads. West tower of 2 plain lower stages and octagonal belfry stage, separated by stringcourses. 2-light belfry openings with Curvilinear tracery under battlemented parapet. West window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil over. Interior has timber chancel screen of about 1829: 4 square-section fluted columns carrying elliptical arches with keyblocks; panelling above incorporates Royal Arms. Nave arcade of double-chamfered round arches on alternating round and octagonal piers with round and octagonal abaci. Early C13 goblet-shaped font with stiff-leaf ornament to base. 2 bells, 1 of c.1361.

Listing NGR: TA1910972099

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166787
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09401/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].