CHURCH OF SAINT STEDIAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1162143
Date first listed:
10-Jul-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT STEDIAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT STEDIAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162143.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:51:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT STEDIAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stithians
National Grid Reference:
SW 73110 37131

Details

SW 73 MW STITHIANS STITHIANS

2/272 Church of Saint Stedian

10.7.57

GV II*

Parish church. Base of chancel probably C13, otherwise C15. Restored in the C18 and heavily restored in 1873. Granite ashlar lower and south aisle, otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable ends. Plan: Nave/chancel under one roof; C15 west tower; C15 north aisle; C19 north porch and C15 south aisle. Exterior: Complete C15, 3-stage embattled and pinnacled west tower except for C19 tracery inserted to 3-light window over 4-centred arch west doorway. Strings dividing stages and buttresses set back from the corners. C19 clock faces to middle stage. Original 3-light traceried louvred windows to upper stage. Apart from the tower, the church had all its windows replaced in the C19. In the north wall are vestiges of a C18 flat arch. There is an ancient carved stone fragment over the east window of the north aisle. In the south wall is a C15 3-centred priest's doorway and a C15 4-centred doorway. Interior: C15 5-bay standard A (Pevsner) north arcade - with 2 centred arches; C15 6-bay south arcade with square piers with engaged shafts and squat 4-centred arches. The walls have been stripped of plaster; the roofs are C19 scissor braced.

Listing NGR: SW7311037131

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66258
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09766/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Chesworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].