CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1162675
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162675.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:31:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wold Newton
National Grid Reference:
TA 04972 75113

Details

TA 07 NW WOLD NEWTON FORDON

1/77 Church of St James 30.6.66 - II *

Church. C12, 1768, restored 1876, 1923. Coursed squared rubble, red and yellow brick, pantiled roof. 2-bay nave with west bellcote, 2-bay chancel. Nave has low chamfered plinth to south and west, high chamfered plinth to north. South door with segmental head and semicircular hood-mould with imposts. Datestone over 1768. South window with pointed brick head and C20 glazing. Coped gables with kneelers. Lower chancel has 2-light pointed east window with Geometrical tracery. Stepped brick eaves cornice, raised coped gable with kneelers. Interior has reset C12 responds with scallop capitals in chancel, late C12 base with stiff-leaf foliage to C19 font. This is said to be the smallest church in the county.

Listing NGR: TA0497275113

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166847
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07647/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].