The Parish Church of St Mary


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
The Parish Church of St Mary, North Bar Within


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162693.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 10:21:51.


Statutory Address:
The Parish Church of St Mary, North Bar Within

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 03150 39805


TA 0339 9/228

BEVERLEY NORTH BAR WITHIN (east side) The Parish Church of St Mary


GV I Church. C12 origins, north-east transept chapel c.1280. Otherwise mainly early C14-C15. Tower rebuilt after collapse in 1520 which also necessitated extensive rebuilding of nave. Magnesian limestone. Lead roof.

Six bay aisled nave with west door and south porch. Central tower. Three bay transepts with south east aisle and north east chapel. Five bay aisled chancel with square east end and north chapel.

West front: polygonal angle buttresses with pierced upper stages flank heavily shafted and moulded west door. West wall panelled above seven-light sub-arcuated Perpendicular window. Openwork parapet. Large south porch with two-light Y-tracery windows and crocketed ogee gable to entrance. Offset buttresses and embattled parapets throughout. Crocketed pinnacles except to chancel. Intersecting tracery to aisle windows of chancel, south transept and three west bays of nave. Perpendicular tracery to clerestory windows and east bays of nave aisle. Five-light sub-arcuated Perpendicular east window. Central tower has oculus to lower stage and four-light Perpendicular belfry openings.

Interior: two-storey elevation to nave and chancel. Original ceilings, that to chancel dated 1445 with panels depicting 40 English Kings. Early C15 choir stalls with 23 carved misericords. Octagonal marble font of 1530. Several good C18-C19 monuments. Good C19 stained glass including east window by Clayton & Bell and west window made by Hardman to design of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.

Principal C19 restorations of 1840s-50s by Augustus Welby Northmore and Edward Welby Pugin and of 1864-67 by Sir Gilbert Scott.

For fuller description see: Bilson, J, St Mary's Church, Beverley. Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 25 (1920) 357-436. Pevsner, N. Yorkshire, East Riding 179-183. RCHM Beverley 1982 p.46-7. National Monument Photographs.

Listing NGR: TA0314639800


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 179-183
Miller, K, Robinson, J, English, B, Hall, I, 'Beverley : an archaeological and architectural study' in Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England :supplementary Series, , Vol. 4 (11), (1982), 46-47
Bilson, J, 'St Mary's Church, Beverley' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 25, (1920), 357-436


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03751/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Dawson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].