This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1162875



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mepal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49556

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/27 CHURCH OF ST MARY 5.2.52 II*

Parish church. C13 with restorations of 1849, 1876 and 1905 by Carbe. Field and rubblestone with limestone dressings. Plain tiled roof with crested ridge tiles and restored end parapets. West end of nave has double bellcote under a gable with vesica opening to the spandrel. The bellcote is carried on three carved stone corbels. Plan of nave and chancel. Nave has diagonal buttressing to south west and north west corners and a restored west window of a single light in a pointed arch and moulded label and stops. C19 gabled porch has two-centred outer arch with label and stops and diagonal buttressing. The inner arch is two centred and chamfered. The chancel has two C13 lancets in the south wall with modern labels. As in the west wall, there is reused moulded stone in part of this wall. Rebuilt east window of three lights with similar stops. North wall also has two C13 lancets. Interior: West wall has original deep splay to lancet window and similar splays to paired lancets in nave south wall. The north window openings have modern rear openings. Two centred chancel arch of two chamfered orders on chamfered responds with moulded capitals. C19 organ bay and vestry on west side of nave. Original rear arches to two lancets in north and south chancel walls each. Piscina, C13, of two bays each in two centred arch. Font: C13, square bowl with chamfered courses on modern stem and base. Wall monument on west wall James Fortrey (d.1719), son of Samuel Fortrey, of Fortreys Hall, Byal Fen, in Chatteris parish. James was page of honour to Mary of Modena, Duchess of York and wife of James II. He was also Groom of the Bedchamber to James II.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p441 VCH: Cambs Vol IV

Listing NGR: TL4406681106

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 441
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

National Grid Reference: TL 44066 81106


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162875 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 09:13:12.

End of official listing