This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1162930

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213482

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GOLBORNE CHURCH STREET SJ 69 NW (east side) 5/13 Church of St. Thomas II Church. 1850, 1860 and 1906. By Joseph Clarke. Snecked stone with clay tile roof. Nave and chancel with south aisle and porch, west tower and north chapel. 5-bay aisle under a pitched roof (no clerestory lights) has projecting plinth, weathered buttresses and gabled porch in bay 2. Each bay has a 2-light aisle window with Geometrical tracery and a hoodmould with head stops. The chancel has a 4-light east window and is flanked by vestrys of 1906. The intended north aisle was never completed apart from 2 bays which now form a side chapel. Tower with diagonal buttresses and a pyramidal roof has a 3-light west window, gabled clock faces and 2-light openings to the belfry which is slightly smaller in plan than the rest of the tower. Interior: chamfered nave arcade on circular columns with moulded capitals. Arch- braced roof trusses. Carved stone font. Timber pulpit, panelling, stalls and pews. Stained glass. Vestry doors have crocketed ogee-arched hoods.

Listing NGR: SJ6073698174

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 60736 98174

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162930 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2018 at 08:35:51.

End of official listing