CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1163217
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163217.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 11:59:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Fremington
National Grid Reference:
SS 51189 32562

Details

FREMINGTON FREMINGTON SS 53 SW 2/21 Church of St Peter 25.2.65 GV II* Parish Church. C13 tower, C15 nave, chancel and south aisle, enlarged and altered in 1813, and heavily restored and largely rebuilt 1867-8 by Sir G G Scott. Roughly coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable ends and apex crosses. Nave, chancel, south aisle and transeptal north tower. Unbuttressed tower with embattled parapet. Bell-openings of 2 slender cusped- headed lights to each face and single tall lancet near base on north side. Pointed blocked arches to west and east sides. C19 Perpendicular style fenestration to chancel nave and south aisle, east end of aisle and chancel of 4 and 5 lights, north side of nave with one 2-light and three 3-light windows, two 3-light windows at west end, that to nave has human head corbels to pointed arch hoodmould, and four 3-light windows to south side of aisle. Largely C15 south porch has moulded virtually semi-circular arched porch doorway with engaged shafts with rolled capitals. Slate sundial above and stoup to right. Waggon roof intact with moulded longitudinal members and moulded central rib with variously carved bosses and end demi-bosses at the intersections, with carved figures sitting on stone carved corbels along the wall plates. Semi-circular arched inner door with moulded surround and old studded 6-plank door with horizontal boarding and old lock to inner face. Interior: C19 7-bay Perpendicular style arcade. Ceiled waggon roofs, the wall plate at east end of north side of nave decorated with 4 medieval grotesque heads. C20 nave furniture. C15 wineglass pulpit, heavily restored in C19. Monuments: North side from east. Wall monuments to Susanna Davie, (d.1694). Oval medallion swathed with drapery, scallop and skull to base, amorinos to each side. Undated to Richard Slowly. Broken pediment with central achievement. Wall monument dated 1693. Oval medallion. Central achievement with swan-necked pediment, on which angel figures recline. 2 charity boards to left over 3 early C19 tablets surmounted by classical urns to Elizabeth May, Crocker family, and Chappel family. Slate tablet below to George Bragg of Loveacot (d.1629). 5 diamond-shaped hatchments with painted arms. South side of south aisle. Painted royal arms over south porch doorway. Large C18 wall monument to Harding family. Timber surround to slate tablet. Broken pediment with central urn. Above is a section of medieval wall painting said to represent tower of Holy City and 2 angels. Large early C19 wall tablet to Barbor family at east end. Stained Glass. Chancel east window, not dated. South aisle east window to William Yeo. South side of south aisle to William Yeo d. 1880 by Ward and Hughes and to Mabel Silleant (d.1882). Nave north side to John Pigot, rector (d.1910).

Listing NGR: SS5118932562

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98727
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/06566/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].