ADMINISTRATION BLOCK AT ASTLEY HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1163258
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
ADMINISTRATION BLOCK AT ASTLEY HOSPITAL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ADMINISTRATION BLOCK AT ASTLEY HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2019 at 14:26:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
ADMINISTRATION BLOCK AT ASTLEY HOSPITAL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wigan (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 69869 00902

Details

TYLDESLEY CHURCH ROAD SD 60 SE (north-west side) 2/43 Administration block at Astley Hospital (formerly listed 18/7/66 as Dam House) II* House, now hospital. Recut stone above entrance reads "erected by Adam Mort and Margaret Mort 1650" but with extensive additions to rear in early and late C19. Rendered brick and brick with stone dressing and slate roof. 5 x 3 bays with 3 storeys. The C19 ranges which make up the quadrangle are largely of 2 storeys and continue to use mullioned windows and vernacular motifs. The elevation consists of gabled crosswings which project to either side of the house-part, a 3-storey porch within the left angle and an additional bay to the left. The porch bay has a studded, cross-boarded door with Doric columns, an open pediment and a fanlight. Each crosswing has a canted 3- storey high bay window with enlarged openings on the ground floor. Otherwise the majority of the double-chamfered stone mullion windows appear to be unaltered (on front only). They have from 2 to 6 lights and the principal rooms have transoms and hoodmoulds. 3 gables and projecting chimney stacks to side elevations. Rear is an extension of early C19 as is the 4-bay wing to rear right which includes a chapel at first floor level. The other 2 sides of the quadrangle are in stock brick, of late C19, and include a coach house. Interior: altered on the lower storeys but retaining many original and Regency features including an inglenook fireplace in the left room, beams, elaborate Gothickdoor surrounds and doors. Splendid Gothic roof trusses to chapel. The upper floor retains 6 and 2-panel doors with strap hinges and timber-framed crosswalls with wattle and daub infill are fully exposed. Brick vaulted cellar - C19. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.

Listing NGR: SD6986900902

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213512
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1906)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06904/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].