STABLE BLOCK, ABOUT 250 YARDS SOUTH EAST OF WIMPOLE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1164273

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1986

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK, ABOUT 250 YARDS SOUTH EAST OF WIMPOLE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK, ABOUT 250 YARDS SOUTH EAST OF WIMPOLE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 23:11:51.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK, ABOUT 250 YARDS SOUTH EAST OF WIMPOLE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wimpole

National Grid Reference: TL 33770 50942

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIMPOLE TL 3350

16/137 Stable block, about 250 yards south east of Wimpole Hall

GV II*

Stable block. Designed circa 1841 by H E Kendall and built 1852. Red brick and stone dressings. Low pitch hipped roofs of slate obscured by blocked parapet. Triple ridge stacks with linked capping. Four ranges round a courtyard with principal range on west side. Two storeys. The west front is divided into nine unequal bays. The centre and end bays are wider and the centre bay and two flanking bays project. The bays are divided by rusticated pilasters which are paired to the end bays, and have stone rustication to the centre bays. The entablature of the pilasters forms the roof parapet which is surmounted by ball finials and the heraldic emblems of the Yorke family flanking the clock turret. The parapet is carried over the end bays of each side as a segmental pediment. The coach doorway is panelled as are the two flanking pedestrial doorways. Round headed coach entry flanked by rusticated pilasters supporting Doric entablature with pediment and surmounted by an elaborate clock turret and cupola with bell shaped copper roof. The clock turret has paired Corinthian pilasters to the corners and the cupola is enriched with console brackets. Inside the turret is barrel vaulted and the courtyard is paved with granite setts. There is a cast iron lean-to shelter. The North front originally adjoined the garden and outbuildings of the old Rectory (now Yorke and Marshall's Cottages). Reminscent of the style of English Baroque masters of the Office of Works School, especially Thomas Archer.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs. Mon. (2) Natural Trust: Wimpole Hall

Listing NGR: TL3377050942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52801

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wimpole Hall, (1979)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

End of official listing