CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1164560
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, VILLAGE CENTRE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164560.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 09:58:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, VILLAGE CENTRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Pyworthy
National Grid Reference:
SS 31292 02881

Details

SS30SW PYWORTHY CP VILLAGE CENTRE

13/60 Church of St Swithin

14.2.58

GV II*

Anglican parish church. Pre-Conquest foundation, early C14 alterations to chancel, north and south aisles built with clerestorey, south aisle refenestrated C15 and tower added c1400, north aisle refenestrated early C16, extensive restoration of 1885 including reroofing, reseating, reflooring and many windows renewed by R. Medley Fulford of Exeter. Random rubble local stone, Hatherleigh stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. Three bay chancel, 4-bay nave with north and south aisles and clerestorey, west tower, south porch. 4-stage tower with angle buttresses to second stage, no parapet, small, plain pyramid finials, 2-light louvred bell openings, clock, stairlight on south front, 2-light window above C19 trefoil-headed doorway approached by external flight of stairs in south-east corner, no west door or west window. Buttressed south aisle: C19 3-light windows west gable end and to west of single storey porch, bevelled arched opening, barrel vault roof with enriched ribs restored and dated 1885, pointed arch opening,also bevelled to south aisle with C19 door with decorative ironwork; uncusped 3-light windows to left of porch, C19 3-light window east gable end, south wall of chancel C19 priest's door beside remains of blocked window opening, two C19 2-light windows, C19 4-light East window, slate tablet to Samuel Parsons died 1791 with good lettering, north wall three 2-light windows, east gable end of north aisle 3-light window, north wall three 3-light mullioned windows under square hoodmoulds, pointed arch doorway between first and second bays west, C19 rose window west gable end. Interior: rendered. Chancel arch chamfered in 2 orders and dying into imposts, double chamfered pointed arch openings to arcades with octagonal piers, clerestorey with depressed pointed arch openings, tower arch depressed pointed arch openings. Rood stair depressed segmental opening with square-headed roof loft opening above. Early C14 piscina and sedilia in chancel extensively restored in C19. Roofs: chancel and nave C19 ceiled wagon roof with enriched beams and bosses, chancel roof with angels on wallplate; open wagon roofs in aisles with remains of original enriched beams and bosses. C19 fittings including internal porch. Norman octagonal granite font on C19 base. The church was dedicated byBishop Grandisson of Exeter in 1334. (White's Devonshire, 1878; Kelly's Directory, 1910; J.M.Slader, The Churches of Devon, 1968)

Listing NGR: SS3129202881

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91967
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Slader, J M , The Churches of Devon, (1968)
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1878)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1910)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13556/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brett Adams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].