CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1164684

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164684 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 04:52:46.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Whalley

National Grid Reference: SD 73254 36180

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHALLEY CHURCH LANE SD 73 NW 2/56 Church of St.Mary and All Saints 13-2-1967 GV I

Church, C13 with tower added and windows altered later C15. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roofs. Comprises a west tower, a nave with clearstorey and north and south aisles, a lower chancel, a south porch, a north vestry, and a timber north porch added in 1909. The west tower has angle buttresses and an embattled parapet. The bell openings are of 2 trefoiled lights with tracery and hoods. The west window is of 3 trefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. Below is a moulded doorway with pointed arch. The south aisle has one bay to the west of the porch and 2 to the east. The windows are of 3 lights with rounded heads under a flat head with hood. The 4 clearstorey windows are of 2 cinquefoiled lights. The south porch was rebuilt in 1844 and has a moulded pointed outer doorway. The inner doorway has a moulded pointed arch, and late C12 capitals for angle shafts which are now missing. 2 of the north aisle windows, of 3 and 2 lights, are similar to those to the south. The 3rd, eastern, one is C19 with 2 trefoiled lights. The chancel windows are chamfered lancets, with a drip course rising over each light and with a string course at sill level. On the south side are 5 windows, on the north side 3. On the south side are 3 buttresses with gablets, on the north side 2. To the right of the left-hand southern window is a priest's doorway. The east window is of 5 cinquefoiled lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. Interior has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers on the south and round ones to the north. The arches are pointed and chamfered in 2 orders. The nave roof, possibly of c.1500, has moulded cambered tie beams, and king posts rising from high collars. Between tie and collar are thin vertical members with traceried heads. Intermediate principals have no ties, but high arch-braced collars with king posts. The chancel roof has high arch-braced collars with king posts. The lower purlins have large curved wind braces. The chancel arch is pointed, of 2 rounded orders with moulded imposts and responds. The triple sedilia have pointed arches springing from round shafts with moulded caps and bases. Adjoining these to the east are a piscina and credence table, the latter with trefoiled head. Among the wall tablets is a memorial to Dr.T.D.Whitaker (died 1822). The east window has glass inserted in 1816 depicting shields of arms of local families. The east window of the south aisle was designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in 1847. The interior contains a large quantity of early woodwork. The C18 west gallery was reconstructed in 1909 and carries an organ with a case made in 1729 for Lancaster church. The pews, although re-arranged, are mostly C17 with shaped tops to the bench ends. At the west end of the north aisle are the churchwardens' pew and the constable's pew (dated 1714), both moved to their present positions in the C20. At the east end of the nave, on the south side, is St.Anton's cage, with elaborately carved woodwork and dates '1697' and '1830', the latter dating a restoration when 2 doors were substituted for one. The cage incorporates earlier dated panels. To its east is the 'medieval pew' with a front of carved tracery decoration. To the north is the Starkie pew, dated 1702. The north and south chapels have screens which are partly medieval. The chancel screen is a C15 rood screen which was restored in 1864. The 22 choir stalls are dated by the initials 'W.W.' to between 1418 and 1434. They were extensively restored in 1866 and have elaborate carved canopies and a very fine series of misericords.

Listing NGR: SD7325336180

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183542

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing