CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1164829
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 03:46:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Coleby
National Grid Reference:
SK 97520 60589

Details

SK 97 60 COLBY CHURCH LANE 5/11 23.8.67 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 1

Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15 and C19. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and leaded roofs. West tower Saxon with later C11 bell chamber and C15 bell openings, battlements pinnacles and spire. Two small C11 openings, though west door and windows C15. Nave, has three C15 clerestorey windows with a parapet above. The north aisle has 2 rectangular C15 transom and mullioned windows with carved hood-mould stops. The chancel is C13, with lancets, 3 stepped to the east, a finely carved corbel table and a small C19 vestry. The south aisle is also C13, with an originally 2-storey porch to the west. This porch protects a very fine C11 doorway, with 2 orders of shafts, capitals with leaf decoration, outer arch with lozenge-chains and inner with a roll. Internally the tower arch is C11 but with a C15 arch fitted in to strengthen it. The north arcade has 2 bays, round-arched with a sturdy pier with scalloped capital and square abacus, billet in the hood-mould. The south arcade has C13 arches with stiff leaf capitals and double chamfered arches. The chancel arch is pointed but with the late Norman square abacus. The chancel itself is C13, originally with a C13 north transept chapel and a C14 south one, but only the arches to these survive. The piscina is C13, and so is the double sedilia though the hoodmoulds were renewed in the C19. The font is Cll with interlocking arches. The pews were fitted in the C19, they were brought from Hackthorn Church, they have fine carved poppy heads. Wall monument 1734. Church restored carefully by F C Penrose in 1864, and Tower restored 1901.

Listing NGR: SK9751660589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192195
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].