Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165045.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2021 at 00:58:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 00310 90462



4/19 Church of St.Peter 1.11.66 and St. Paul (Formerly listed as Church of G.V. St Peter) I Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, C16, 1756, 1855, C20. Coursed limestone rubble with stone coped lead roofs. Western tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, north chapel. The 3 stage unbuttressed tower was rebuilt in 1756 and has a plinth, 2 plain bands and an embattled parapet. The south side has a single light with round headed window. The west door is planked with a panelled head in a plain semi-circular surround with key and impost blocks and on the left hand jamb is the inscription "FG 1756". To the 1st floor is an occulus with raised keystones. The belfry stages have semi-circular headed belfry lights with key and impost blocks. Between the west wall of the north aisle and tower is a buttress. To the west end of the north aisle is a recut C13 lancet. The north wall has a moulded plinth and a blocked C13 doorway with hood mould and human head label stops. There are 2 C15 large 3 light windows set in deep concave chamfered reveals with cusped panel tracery to heads and hood moulds. Further east is a 3rd smaller C15 2 tight window. The clerestorey is blank on north side. In the east wall of the north chapel is a C16 chamfered surround with moulded hood mould, now containing 3 C20 leaded lights. To the left of this window is a section of a chevron moulded voussoir. The chancel of one bay has been shortened as the springing of a C13 arch can be seen. The C20 east window has 3 lights. In the south wall is a small C15 plain priest's door with chamfered reveal retaining an early wooden door. The south side of the aisle has 2 C15 windows as the north side. The clerestorey has a single C20 window. The C14 south porch has projecting stepped buttr-essesto either side of the deeply moulded entry arch which has a hood mould with human head label stops, that on the left being a C20 replacement. Above the arch is a shield of arms charged with 3 rams and a chevron, over this a nodding ogee niche containing a pieta, surmounted by a C14 castellated finial base with C19 cross fleury. The coped gables have pinnacle bases to the ends. The porch has side benches and paired trefoil headed lights with lozenges over in triangular openings to each side. The south doorway retains its original C14 planked door and iron closing ring. The doorway is deeply set and heavily moulded with one concave order, a hood mould and one surviving human head label stop. Interior; the late C13 3 bay north and south arcades have octagonal piers, capitals and responds and double chamfered arches. The west door is round headed, splayed on the inner face and possibly earlier than the C18 tower. The chancel arch matches the aisle arcades. The nave roof is a C16 tie beam with staggered butt purlins. The north aisle roof is similar and the south aisle has a restored contemporary roof. The fine C18 panelled wooden western gallery stands on 3 wooden anti with a stair with turned newels and square balusters on left hand side. To the east end of the north aisle is a blank C14 recess with moulded cambered arch head with stop chamfer and hood mould, perhaps an Easter Sepulchre, with to left a statue bracket, beneath which is a small doorway with concave moulded surround and cambered head. In the chancel north wall is a further late C13 double chamfered archway, opening into the vestry, formerly the north chapel, and beyond to the east is the springing of a further bay. One corbel for the rood beam survives on the north side. Fittings; in the nave is a complete set of C18 box pews with panelled doors and book rests. The altar rails are C17 sturdy turned oak balusters. In the nave is a C17 oak readers chair with carved back panel. In the sanctuary is a fine mid C19 Gothic chair with angel headed arms. In the south aisle is an important early C14 coffer with carved front and stiles having intersecting arcades, rosettes and daggers. The splendid pulpit of c.1918 has openwork carving and symbols of the Evangelist. The font is a circular bowl on a circular pedestal with stiff leaf decoration to the underside of the bowl, inscribed "about 1260 and 1916". In the north aisle the most easterly window has fine early C20 stained glass in memory of Montague Cholmeley, killed 1914, of Norton Place( Monuments: beneath the gallery stairs is a late C13 recumbent effigy of a lady with flowing robes close buttoned cuffs and mantled head on a cushion. In the north aisle is a small inscribed brass plate to Ann Tourney, d.1641. In the floor of the vestry is a C16 brass to a lady, defaced.

Listing NGR: TF0031490464


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08279/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].