STOKE PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1165119
Date first listed:
23-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
STOKE PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STOKE PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:40:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
STOKE PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
South Bucks (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Poges
National Grid Reference:
SU 98259 82276

Details

SU 98 SE STOKE POGES STOKE GREEN

8/619 Stoke Place

23.9.55

- II

Central section completed in 1698, the wings added circa 1755. More additions of C19 to left and right. Red brick; old tile roof. Central section of 2 storeys, basement and attic. Five bays, the centre 3 advanced and pedimented. Basement with five 2-light casement windows. Ground and 1st floors with 5 flush sash windows. Stringcourse at 1st floor level. Modern dormer windows. All windows with glazing bars. To the left and separated from the central section, a 2-bay addition in the same style except that the windows are in reveals. Left and right of this composition, C18 wings. That on the left is of 6 bays. Segment-headed windows in reveals. Ground floor windows altered. That on the right is of 4 bays. Ground floor with 4 Tuscan columns supporting an entablature and forming a covered way. Flush windows. Hipped roof. Garden elevation with big bow windows running through 2 storeys of wings. Centre with curved pediment doorcase. No central pediment on this side but timber dentil cornice. Interior with remains of rococo plasterwork and painted wall decoration; entrance hall with screen of 4 Roman Doric Columns. F M Sir George Howard lived here, 1771-96.

Listing NGR: SU9825982276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
44219
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/08828/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Pooley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].