This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1165141



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Easton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54565

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/96 Parish Church 28.1.58 of St. Peter (Formerly listed as Church of GV I St.Peter)

Parish church, noteworthy for its finely proportioned late C14 tower and spire, and nave roof dated 1630. The north wall and fragments of carved stones in the walls are early C12. South aisle and arcade, chancel and chancel arch c.1300. In C15 the east end of chancel rebuilt. Rood stair, clerestorey and porch early C16. Chancel restored in 1871_and repaired in 1905, the rest of the church c.1876-79 and again in 1903-04. Spire in 1908. Recent restoration of tower, spire and nave roof. Walls of limestone and pebble rubble with limestone dressings and ashlar spire. Roofs all low pitched, covered in lead, north porch roof replaced with plain tile gable roof. North facing elevation. Chancel of two bays with square buttresses set in from angles and plain parapet. Two windows in four-centred arches of two lights with tracery, one window originally C14 and heightened. Nave wall of three buttressed bays with angle buttresses at quoins, has two late C15 windows with two and three lights, mullioned and transomed. The porch, c.1500, has a two-centred outer arch with continuous moulded jambs, roof has two C17 tie beams with jack legs and pendant finaials. The inner doorway C14 with two-centred head has continuous moulded jambs. Clerestorey of four bays with three-light windows in square headed arches. West tower of four stages with square buttresses set in from angles and rising to height of belfrey windows. Belfrey windows, coupled two-lights with quatrefoiled transomes and tracery in two-centred heads. Bands of quatre- foils below cornice. Octagonal broach spire has three tiers of spire lights. Interior. The chancel arch is two-centred with two chamfered orders resting on moulded corbels. Roof C19. South arcade c.1300 of four bays with two-centred arches of moulded capitals and chamfered bases on high square plinths. Nave roof of four bays has moulded and carved beams with jack legs and moulded spandrels with shaped and pierced pendants and on soffit of tie beams. The south door has some original iron hinges, one with a stamped rosette and lappet thought to be Thomas de Leighton's work. Original piscina resited in south wall with two-centred head. South aisle roof modern with C17 tie beams. C13 font with square bowl and chamfered angles. C15 oak screen of five bays with open and panelled tracery. Oak benches made from used C17 panels, and two popey-head pews. C17 poor box on back bench. C17 balusters in two modern desks said to have come from Stow Longa Manor House, RCHM (Hunts) p70- . VCH (Hunts) p42-44. Pevsners: Buildings of England, p235. Norris Museum. Inskip Ladds Collection. (Measured drawings and specification, J. Ladds, 1868- .)

Listing NGR: TL1385671574

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 70
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 42-44
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 235

National Grid Reference: TL 13856 71574


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165141 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 01:11:22.

End of official listing