CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1165610
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165610 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:45:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
Frinton and Walton
National Grid Reference:
TM 21918 19356

Details

FRINTON AND WALTON CHURCH LANE, TM 21 NW GREAT HOLLAND 8/48 Church of All Saints 21.6.50 II* Parish church, rebuilt circa 1866, Sir Arthur Blomfield. Flint and stone dressings. The C15/C16 west tower of red brick with black header diapering. Red plain tiled roofs, pierced ridge tiles. Chancel, Nave, North Aisle, North Vestry, South Porch. Chancel, angle buttress with stone gables, moulded plinth, lower band, upper band follows through below the 3 east graduated lancets and over the 2 south wall and one north wall lancets. 2 centre arched doorway to south wall. Nave south wall, moulded plinth, 2 buttresses, three 2 centre arched windows of 2 cusped lights with cusped roundels over. Gabled south porch, forward buttresses, moulded 2 centre arched doorway. Stone roundel inscribed IHS over. North aisle lean-to roof, 3 buttresses, 2 small cusped 2 centre arched windows to each bay, doorway to east wall. Gabled north west vestry. Angle buttresses, 3 light window under a square head to north wall, segmental headed doorway to west wall. Small western vestry with roof hipped to north, buttress to north west angle, single light northern window and door to west wall. Crenellated west tower of 3 stages. Raised and crenellated semi-octagonal south east stair turret. Semi-octagonal buttresses to other angles. Moulded brick plinth. Moulded brick west window of 4 pointed lights, vertical tracery over, 2 centred head and label. Brick moulded and chamfered western doorway, 2 centred head and jambs of 3 orders, label over. Small chamfered louvres with segmental pointed heads to north and south walls. Each face of bell chamber has a cusped 2 light louvre with vertical tracery over under a 2 centred head, moulded brick label over. A memorial mallet used at the stone laying 4th August 1865 relates that "The Tower and Original Church date from 1413." Interior. Barrel vaulted Chancel roof. Arched braces on stone corbels support small 4 armed crown post Nave roof. C19 stained glass windows. Carved wood altar. 4 bay north arcade, plastered and chamfered 2 centred arches, moulded capitals and bases to circular columns. C19 octagonal font with wooden cover. C19 octagonal carved wood pulpit on stone base. Tower arch, 2 centred of 4 chamfered orders. Monument to Henry Rice 1812, by Hinchliffe of London, kneeling mourning female figure. Graded II* for the fine tower. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM2191819356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
119899
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06060/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard J. Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].