THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1165920

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, BOURNEBRIDGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165920 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 17:35:06.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, BOURNEBRIDGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

National Grid Reference: TQ 49988 94530

Details

TQ 49 SE STAPLEFORD ABBOTTS BOURNEBRIDGE LANE 5/41 The Old School House 20.2.67 - II II

School, 1734, converted to house. Red and blue brick, Flemish bond, partly plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Rectangular plan, internal chimney stacks at E and N, aspect S. 2-storey lean-to extension to rear, forming a catslide roof, C18/19, and smaller single-storey extension beyond, C20. Lean-to porch on E wall, C20. 2 storeys. The original brickwork has red stretchers and blue flared headers in a regular pattern. Side walls plastered in C20. Central door with 6 fielded panels, simple doorcase with dentilled hood and shaped brackets with guttae. 4-window range of C20 casements under segmental brick arches of alternate red and blue bricks. Band at first- floor level of 2 courses of red stretchers sandwiching one course of blue headers, terminating short of the returns. Recessed stone plaque with moulded border above door with inscription 'Glory to God. Knolls Hill Free School for teaching poor children to read and write, erected and endowed at the sole expence of the Honourable Sir John Fortescue (etc) 1734'. Hipped roof. Unspoiled symmetrical elevation of unusual simple dignity. Reported to have been in use as a school until the C20.

Listing NGR: TQ4998894530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118683

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing