Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HILARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165996.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:29:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 00796 84535



2/71 Church of St. Hilary 30.11.66


Parish church. 1875 by James Fowler of Louth. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, plain tiled roof having stone coped gables and crosses fleury. At the north west angle of the nave is an entrance tower, nave and chancel are undivided. The church is all in the late C13 style with plinth, moulded string courses and stepped buttresses. The west end of the nave has 3 pairs of 2 light windows with quatrefoils over and a continuous hood mould. Above is a large circular window with 8 quatrefoils arranged around a central cusped light. In the gable is a small trefoil headed light. The north west tower, is in the form of a campanile, in 4 stages with a gabled roof with gargoyles to the angles of the tower. The west elevation has single windows to ground and first floor. The belfry stage has tall paired louvred lights with blank arches beneath and quatrefoils over. To the gables are single pointed lights and above a low relief cross. The north side of the tower has a door in a C13 style with triple shafts to the reveals, a moulded head and is flanked by single narrow blank arches, the outer reveals of which are wall shafts springing from corbels with grotesque beasts on the underside. Above the door a trefoil headed niche contains a carving of the Good Shepherd with side shafts supporting a canopy bearing the Sacred Monogram with floriated top. Above again is an open face clock. The east side of the tower matches the west but also has a facetted projecting stair turret. The nave has 2 paired windows with quatrefoil, hood moulds and label stops. The chancel has a priests' door with single nook shafts, moulded head and hood mould. In the tympanum is a half length carving of St. Hilary as a Bishop holding a bible, with a Greek inscription. Above, to either side, are single trefoil headed lights. The east window is 3 light with trilobed heads, central sexfoil with cusped margins to circular frame, flanked by single trefoils. Above in the gable is a single trefoil beaded light. In the plinth is the foundation stone dated '1874'. The south side matches the north apart from one additional 2 light window and a projection for the organ. Interior. In the tower is a vestibule with panelled ceiling, it contains the stair door and pointed headed inner doorway with moulded head and pierced geometric decoration in the tympanum, featuring stained glass panels. The chancel is divided from the nave by a low stone cancellum screen, in the centre of which are fine wrought iron gates with scrolls and leafed terminals. The nave roof is an open arch braced type which as it enters the chancel is boarded in with painted panels bearing the sacred monogram in Latin and Greek. The moulded wall plate is interrupted by carved human head corbels at the feet of the principals. Fittings. Vestry screen, organ screen, pulpit, choir stalls, readers desk, all have intersecting arcades, foliage and angels, in C13 style. The fine reredos and altar are in painted and gilded wood, with ogee arches. The organ is painted to match. The octagonal font has quatrefoils and triangles in the upper panels; the wooden lid has elaborate wrought iron mountings. Monuments. On the south wall of the nave is a wall tablet with cross and sabre to F. Hutton d.1864. At the west end is a cast bronze portrait plaque to Michael Hutton k.1941. Also a square brass plaque recording the consecreation of the Church in 1875 to the memory of Rev. Henry Hutton.

Listing NGR: TF0079684535


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16726/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].