CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1166119
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LN8 3YJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166119 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 09:16:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LN8 3YJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Osgodby
National Grid Reference:
TF 09479 93643

Details

TF 09 SE, OSGODBY, USSELBY,

8/39,

Church of St Margaret

1-11-66

II

Parish Church; C14, 1749 and alterations in 1889 by Hodgson Fowler of Sheffield. The masonry is clearly medieval but no details survive. Coursed ironstone rubble with red brick and ashlar dressings, timber and lead bellcote. Nave with western bellcote, chancel; vestry. The west end has a single splayed buttress and a C19 door in chamfered opening with brick semi- circular head and ashlar keystone. The bellcote is timber boarded with a round dentillated cornice and a swept pointed lead roof surmounted by a cross. Each face has semi-circular headed openings with moulded surrounds containing louvres and on the north side a trap door. The north side, is blank except for a C19 ashlar dressing. There is a C19 vestry with 2 semi-circular headed lights to the east. The east end of the chancel is blank, but has a plinth and traces of a blocked east window can be seen. The south side has 3 semi-circular headed windows with timber fixed lights and one casement in 6 panes under brick arches with ashlar keystones. One of the windows lights the chancel. Interior is plain with elliptically headed chancel arch and panelled ceiling with cornice. Over the west door is a tablet inscribed "Queen Ann's bounty fell to this church in MDCCXLIX." There is a plain memorial tablet in the chancel to Major Gen. Bincliffe d. 1809.

Listing NGR: TF0947993643

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196519
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05656/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].