This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1166210



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Donington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


DONINGTON SCHOOL LANE TF 23 NW (north side) North wing of 2/31 Cowleys School 25.10.51 (formerly listed as Donington Cowley's Secondary School)

G.V. II School hall and classroom. 1861. Red brick with ashlar dressings, plain tile roof, with raised stone coped gables, finials and kneelers, one ashlar stack. L-plan. Single storey, 6 bay front, the right hand bay advanced and gabled. Plinth, stone bracketed chamfered eaves. Buttresses with raked tops. To right a Tudor arched door with moulded ashlar reveals, above a stepped ashlar panel containing foliage, inscription and date 1861. Above is a 3 light mullioned and transomed window. To left are 4 two light and a single 3 light similar window. All windows have chamfered ashlar surrounds. In the gables are 2 small square lights with diamond set quatrefoils. Interior of the hall has a fine hammer beam roof with moulded ashlar corbels. Built as an addition to T. Cowley's original foundation of 1719.

Listing NGR: TF2120335712

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 21209 35685


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 05:35:34.

End of official listing