CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1166238
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Sep-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, NORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166238.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:07:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, NORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Middle Rasen
National Grid Reference:
TF 08730 89519

Details

TF 08 NE MIDDLE RASEN NORTH STREET

1/22 Church of St. Peter (formerly listed as 1.11.66 Church of Saints Peter and Paul) II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, 1861 restoration by Bellamy and Hardy. Squared ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings, concrete tiled roofs hidden behind parapets. Western tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, north chapel, south porch. C15 3 stage tower with moulded plinth, stepped-angle buttresses, 2 chamfered string courses and embattled parapet with crocketted angle pinnacles. West door with 4 centred arched head, sunk wave moulded surround of concave moulded hood. To first stage in west and south walls are small lights with presumably repositioned C12 round heads in limestone. Belfry stage has paired cusped ogee headed lights with panel tracery to the heads, set in 4 centred arched surrounds, with hood moulds. West wall of north aisle, rebuilt externally in 1861, has a reset early C14 geometric window of 3 lights with central cinquefoil. The north aisle wall has 2 C19 doorways and 4 paired lights with quatrefoils. The east wall of the aisle has a C19 window matching that of the west wall. In the chancel, the north window is C14, of 3 lights, with reticulated tracery which is unusually in ironstone. The C15 chancel east window is of 5 lights with ogee heads having panel tracery to the head under a 4 centred arch. The south walls of nave and chancel are undifferentiated beneath an embattled parapet with angle pinnacles. There is a C14 pointed headed priests' door to the left of which is a small trefoil headed light, the upper parts of which retain medieval stained glass. The stone from which the head is cut is a reused C13 grave slab with incised cross base. There are 3 C15 4 light windows, trefoil heads to the lights, panel tracery and triangular heads, and beyond the porch is a similar 3 light window. C19 gabled south porch with pinnacles has outer pointed doorway with moulded head. The fine mid C12 south doorway has 3 deeply cut decorative orders consisting of dogtooth with chevrons, castellations and beakheads, the hood has billet moulding with debased cable moulding around the periphery. Since the arch does not fit the narrow engaged cylindrical responds it is uncertain as to what its original position was, the lower parts and some of the voussoirs are C19. Interior. A small single chamfered doorway leads to the tower. The 3 bay c.1200 north nave arcade has circular piers and responds, octagonal capitals, but keeled mouldings round the arch heads. The chancel arch is basically of C13 in its present form with keeled responds and double chamfered head. The scalloped capitals are of the mid C12 and to either side of the responds are curious scalloped motifs surrounded by circular pellets which are also C12. At the end of the north aisle is a double chamfered C13 arch into the north chapel. In the north wall of the chancel a double chamfered pointed arch with concave outer order opens into the north chapel. Further east is a C19 shouldered doorway. On the south side is a triangular rear arch to the small window noted externally. All fittings are C19 apart from the screen and font. The oak screen has unrestored C15 sections with panel tracery, and the circular early C12 font bowl has blank arcading. In the chancel is a C19 octagonal font with quatrefoils removed from the demolished Church of St. Pauls. By the chancel screen is a handsome cut down C15 carved bench end. Monuments. In the chancel is an early C14 priest's gravestone with crocketted canopy and pinnacles. The priest is shown holding a chalice with finely carved vestments, this stone is also from the Church of St. Pauls. In the chancel north wall is a marble plaque in the form of an obelisk dated 1747, with pediment and rococco cartouche.

Listing NGR: TF0873089519

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
197147
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05983/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].