CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1166242
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166242.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:31:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Hemswell
National Grid Reference:
SK 93050 90924

Details

SK 99 SW HEMSWELL CHURCH STREET (South side)

2/48 Church of 16.12.64 All Saints

II*

Parish church. Early C13, 1764, 1858. Coursed ironstone rubble, limestone rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and finials. West tower, nave with north aisle and north porch, rectangular chancel. West tower of 1764 of 3 stages divided by flat string courses, with plinth and quoins. West doorway with round head and raised keystone, moulded imposts and jambs and C20 plank door. South side has round opening. Opening above west doorway with round head blocked by stone inscribed with date of 1754 commemorating when medieval south aisle was removed and date of removal of original west tower and the completion of the present one in 1764. On north and south sides at second stage is single slit opening. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each a plain, round headed opening with chamfered sides. Moulded eaves above with corner gargoyles, parapet and ornate, corner pinnacles. Exterior of nave and chancel of 1858 with plinth running all the way round. North-west corner of nave has single stage angle buttress. North side of north aisle has 3 light pointed window with C19 porch to east with squat angle buttresses to east and west and a double chamfered pointed doorway under coped gable. Porch interior with chamfered pointed C19 doorway with plank door. 2 windows to the east of the porch, each of 2 pointed cusped lights under flatteneed triangular head. 2 stage diagonal buttress to east. North side of chancel has 2 pointed windows each of 2 cusped and pointed lights with quatrefoil above. Windows divided by 2 stage buttress with 2 stage angle buttresses beyond. East end has string course running under pointed window of 3 lights with oculus above containing cusped mouchettes, and hood mould. North east corner of chancel with 2 stage angle buttresses. South side of chancel plain with corbel table. South side of nave with 3 windows, each a cluster of pointed lights with round headed relieving arches above. Windows alternate with 4 two stage buttresses. Corbel table above. Nave interior with early C13 north arcade of 3 bays with barely pointed, double chamfered heads, broaches where they spring from abaci and simple heads in spandrels. Polygonal responds and piers all with plain capitals except eastern respond with broken volute capital. C19 chancel arch with polygonal responds and heavily moulded pointed head. Late C13 sedilia in south wall of chancel with 3 cusped and pointed heads with ornate crocketed gables and heads. C19 wooden roofs on stone corbels. C13 drum font on C19 base with traceried arcading and shields in spandrels. C19 organ loft. C20 pews, altar and altar rail. C18 hatchment. 3 small C19 monuments.

Listing NGR: SK9305090924

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196739
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05727/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].