RAITHBY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1166361
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
RAITHBY HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of RAITHBY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:16:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
RAITHBY HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Raithby
National Grid Reference:
TF 37428 67095

Details

RAITHBY MAIN STREET TF 36 NE (east side) 2/34 Raithby Hall 3.2.67 G.V. II Former small country house, seat of the Brackenbury and Rawnsley families, now an old persons home. c.1760, extended c.1848 and 1873 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, minor C20 alterations. Red brick in Flemish bond, ashlar and painted ashlar dressings. Chamfered rustication to plinth, Westmorland slate roof, lead roofs to bays. Wall stacks. 3 storey principal front, rusticated plinth, brick first and second floor bands, dentillated cornice, 7 bay front arranged 3:1:3, the outer triple bays being canted to full height. Central glazed double doors with ashlar triple pilastered surround, open dentillated pediment, tree and lion crest over the door, flanked by 3 margin light sashes. To first floor a central glazing bar sash is flanked by 3 similar windows. To second floor are 7 similar smaller windows. In the central pediment a small semi-circular fixed light with Gothick tracery. To left a projecting C19 rectangular bay contains tall single glazing bar casements in ashlar surrounds to each floor. On the right hand side front a rectangular bay contains a C18 pedimented ashlar Venetian window with scrolled brackets to either side of the head, probably reset. Otherwise these are 4 glazing bar sashes to each floor, with segmental heads, alternating brick and ashlar voussoirs. On the left hand side a pair of double panelled half glazed doors are set in a semi-circular headed ashlar surround with fluted keyblock, broken pediment and central urn, to either side are slightly advanced window bays with glazing bar cross mullions to each floor, with moulded ashlar architraves, panels and segmental pediments. The parapet above has semi-circular decoration. To left a 9 bay 2 storey service range, the right hand half with ashlar band, continued to the left in brick. The left hand end has 6 panel door, to left a glazing bar sash, to right a blank opening both with rubbed brick arched heads. Beyond again a C20 garage door. To right a further door and beyond 5 glazing bar sashes with segmental heads. To first floor is a gabled C19 canted oriel window with glazing bar casements and 7 glazing bar sashes and a blank opening. Interior has been fitted out in C19 with semi-circular archways and fluted pilasters. Staircase with large turned newels and knopped balusters. Some C18 details including moulded cornice and 6 panel doors. Plans held in the RIBA drawings collection show proposed extensions by G. G. Scott Jnr. c.1873 for Rev. E. Rawnsley.

Listing NGR: TF3742867095

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196149
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04071/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].