CHURCH OF ST EGWIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1166454
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EGWIN, EVESHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EGWIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166454.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:11:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EGWIN, EVESHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Norton and Lenchwick
National Grid Reference:
SP 04198 47759

Details

NORTON & LENCHWICK CP EVESHAM ROAD (west side) SP 04 NW

3/115 Church of St Egwin

30.7.59

GV II*

Parish church. C15, restored 1844. Coursed lias rubble with ashlar dress- ings and stone slate roof. Chancel, nave, south porch, north transept and west tower. West tower: C15 of two stages with offset and diagonal buttresses, the crenellated parapet has corner pinnacles and gargoyles below. The roof is gabled with stone slate covering. Belfry has openings of two trefoiled lights under a square head. At west end of nave are two lancets which have squinches cut into tower. Nave is mostly of 1844: four bays with diagonal buttresses to corners, porch in bay to left of centre. Arch of south door of three stones forming three sides of an octagon with an internal cusp (re-set). Windows of two trefoiled lights under square heads. Chancel: C14, heavily restored 1844, of two bays, window to left has a cinquefoiled head and a square label, to right of two trefoiled lights under a segmental pointed head. East window C19, three trefoiled lights under a 2-centred head. North transept: of two bays, north window of four cinquefoiled lights under a 2-centred head. Interior: segmental pointed tower arch of two chamfered orders, the inner order with respond shafts. Chancel arch, C19, segmental pointed. Arch to north chapel segmental pointed of two orders. Roofs: nave of four bays, trusses have tie- beams and collars, chancel roof of three bays with arch-brace collars and tie- beams. Transept has a C14 common rafter roof, the arch-braces and ashlar pieces curved to form a 2-centred arch. Fittings: font in nave, C15 octagon font with quatrefoils on octagonal pier. C12 lectern from Evesham of marble on C19 base. Pulpit of C17 panelling with blind tracery back board. Chancel partly lined with linen fold panelling. North transept contains three tombs of the Bigge family: Sir Thomas Bigge, died 1621, alabaster altar tomb with recumbent alabaster effigy, over which is a tester on four Ionic columns of black marble; Thomas Bigge, died 1581, and wife, two recumbent effigies on altar tomb; Sir Thomas Bigge, died 1613, and wife, two kneeling figures under a semi-circular arch supported on Ionic columns. Over each of first two tombs there hangs a helm, crest, gauntlets, spurs, tabard and several banners. (BoE, p 225-6; VCH, 2, pp 418-420).

Listing NGR: SP0419847759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
148718
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1906), 418-420
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 225-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/03442/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].