CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1166734
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166734.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:33:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shobdon
National Grid Reference:
SO 40114 62847

Details

SO 46 SW; 5/54

SHOBDON CP, SHOBDON PARK, Church of St John the Evangelist

11.06.59

GV

I

Parish church. Probably C14, rebuilt 1752-1756 for Richard Bateman. Coursed rubble with slate roof. C14 west tower, nave, transepts and chancel C18. Gothick style rebuild.

West tower of two stages with crenellated parapet, battered plinth and string course. Belfry has window in each wall of one segmental pointed light. West wall has window of two pointed lights below the belfry. C18 west door has an ogee head and label, with engaged columns to responds. Above is a trefoiled window flanked by two smaller windows. Boarded door has applied strips forming hexagonal decoration. Nave of three bays with crenellated parapet and three windows: two ogee lights under an ogee head containing a quatrefoil, with labels. Transepts have crenellated gables, south and north windows of three ogee lights under a four-centred head containing two quatrefoils with an ogee label. Chancel: blind to north and south with 3-ogee-light east window under a four-centred head with ogee label. Interior of tower has a coved plaster cornice and a plain stone staircase leading to west gallery. Ogee-headed east door with door similar to west door. Nave has west gallery of 1829 supported on two slender Corinthian columns, the front of gallery has quatrefoils to panels. Between each window there is an ogee headed Gothick plaster panel bearing a memorial. Coved and enriched cornice . Transepts separated from nave by three pendant ogee arches with triple engaged columns to the responds. The south transept, the family pew, has a large marble Gothick fireplace. Chancel arch of similar tripartite design with a finial to central arch. The north and south walls each have two trefoil headed stone Gothick panels. East window has a plaster architrave. Fittings: tower has, two memorials on south wall, a stone cartouche to John Handford, died 1678, and an oval panel with enriched border, scrolled side pilasters and pediment, to Ann Chaplin, died 1684. Nave has C18 pews with elaborate ends pierced with quatrefoils at top and an ogee-arch below. Pews in transepts divided off by C18 wrought iron railings. Pulpit is a three-decker, with main pulpit under an elaborate sounding board and red velvet hangings, reader's desk with bend ends similar to the pews, and pierced back with crocketted finials, and a lectern. Altar rail with enriched moulded handrail. Chancel also contains two Gothick arm chairs. The south transept has six Gothick chairs with ogee backs. Font in crossing is C12 with four lions around the column supporting a simple bowl. Hereford school style carving. C18 font in north aisle has an octagonal bowl on an octagonal pier and moulded plinth. C12 arches and tympanum were relocated in C18 to form the Shobdon arches (qv). This church is an outstanding example of the Gothick style.

Listing NGR: SO4011462844

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149457
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 179 180
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 287 288
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 20 Hereford and Worcester,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16356/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].