This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1167729



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Frome

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Feb-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 266042

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5363 BATH STREET (West side)

Former Rook Lane ST 7747 NE 10/7 Congregational Chapel


2. Ashlar front dated 1707 (altered). 2 tiers of 7 windows, moulded plinth, cornice, parapet, central pediment spanning 5 windows, string course and moulded quoins. Arched window openings with quoined and eaved architraves, and bracketted cills; patterned cast iron window bars. Central doorway with open pediment, bolection surround; pediment break ornamented by urn with flames above. Side lobbies added in matching style in 1862 for gallery stairs and entrances and centre doorway blocked off despite the painted admonition on the lintel "Keep thy foot when thou goest to the House of God". These lobbies have segment headed doors with eaved architraves, above are circular lights with eaved architraves. Hipped modern tile roof with central weathervane. Ornamental gas lamp on corner. 1862 extensions to rear. Interior: 2 large central column on fluted bases and with Doric entablature. Top lit 1862 gallery on 3 sides with evidence of a domed roof structure which is still intact. It is said that this chapel was locally known as The Cupola".

Listing NGR: ST7753147873

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 77533 47870


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1167729 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 05:24:20.

End of official listing