CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1168707
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 05:22:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
South Ormsby cum Ketsby
National Grid Reference:
TF 36938 75151

Details

SOUTH ORMSBY CUM KETSBY MAIN STREET TF 37 NE (west side) 1/32 Church of St. Leonard 3.2.67 I

Parish church. C12, c.1200, c.1384, chancel C15, restoration of 1871-2 by James Fowler. Greenstone ashlar with limestone ashlar dressings. Plain tiled and lead roofs. Western tower, nave, south aisle, north porch, chancel. 3 stage late C14 tower with corner buttresses, bell moulded plinth, chamfered offsets, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles. To the belfry stage are 2 light louvred openings with ogee heads to the lights and quatrefoils over. In the west wall a 3 light late C14 window with ogee heads to the lights and panel tracery. Above a single light with cusped head. In the north side is a similar light. The gabled north porch has a continuously moulded outer door with small niche over. C19 side lights on east. Continuously moulded C15 inner doorway with hood and C18 panelled door. The north wall of the nave has single 2 and 3 light C15 windows, with panel tracery, concave moulded surrounds and hoods. The C19 chancel north wall has 2 two light cusped traceried windows with Cl4 reveals. In the east wall 2 C19 windows, both of 3 lights with reticulated tracery. In the south wall of the south chapel a 2 light C19 window also with C14 reveals. The south aisle has three C20 three light windows with cusped ogee lights and flat heads. In the west wall is a doorway comprising a re-used mid C12 round arched head with billet moulded hood, said to come from Calceby and C15 reveals with square hollow chamfer and fleurons, with human heads. Interior. c.1200 3 bay south arcade, round piers and responds, some stiff leaf foliage on the capitals. 2 double chamfered round arches and one to the west, slightly pointed, chamfered hoods and ammonite stops. Late C14 tower arch, double chamfered and dying to the reveals. Chancel arch has c.1200 annular responds now with double chamfered pointed arch. Into the south chapel a double chamfered arch. In the chancel south wall are 2 similar C14 arches with stop chamfers and octagonal pier. In the south window of the south chapel are reset panels of C17 Flemish painted glass. East window by Clayton and Bell, 1873. Fittings are all C19 apart from the fine font with panelled octagonal traceried stem, the bowl has angel supporters and on the sides are shields with Symbols of the Passion, and the Virgin Mary set in cusped roundels. Monuments. On a panel in the south aisle wall a brass to Sir William Skipwith, d.1482 showing the deceased and wife beneath crocketed and pinnacled canopies with children beneath. Also a female brass, half life size, with dog. In the south chapel a white marble wall plaque in the Greek Taste to William Burrell Massingberd d.1802, and other members of the family. Also 2 early C19 white marble plaques, one with a pedimented top, the other a draped female mourning figure before a broken Corinthian column, by Westmacott.

Listing NGR: TF3694175149

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196098
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03666/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].