Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of HECKINGTON MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 22:12:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 14564 43537


HECKINGTON HALE ROAD TF 1443-1543 (west side) 11/57 Heckington Mill 23/11/51 G.V. I

Tower mill. 1830, repaired 1890. Designed by Michael Ingeldew. Red brick bitumen painted tapering mill tower, dogtooth eaves course, ogee wooden cap with ball finial. 5 storeys. To ground floor are planked double doors covered by a corrugated iron roof and approached up 6 shallow steps. Above the door a datestone inscribed MH for Michael Hare, the builder, with the date 1830. Above are single 2 light sliding plain sashes to each floor, all with segmental brick heads. Between the first and second floors is a planked platform supported on cast iron brackets and with a handrail. The mill retains the 8 sails brought in 1892 by Mr. Pocklington, then owner of the mill, from Tuxford's Mill at Boston following damage in a storm in March 1890. Interior retains brakewheel, wallower and the rest of the driving gear. The third and fourth floors are both bin floors and on second floor are the original 3 pairs of stones, with further single pairs on the first and ground floors. The substantial power generated by the 8 sails enabled the mill to drive 5 pairs of stones as well as ancillary machines such as a corn dressed, sack hoist and feed mixer as well as an adjacent woodworking shop. This is the only 8 sailed windmill extant in England. Source: Dolman.

Listing NGR: TF1456443537


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].