CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1168891

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Statutory Address: CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE, WITHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168891 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 21:35:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CRESSING TEMPLE FARMHOUSE, WITHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Cressing

National Grid Reference: TL 79918 18724

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRESSING WITHAM ROAD TL 71 NE (east side)

4/71 Cressing Temple 2.5.53 Farmhouse

GV II

House. Late C16, altered in C18 and C19. Timber framed, plastered and roughcast, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing SE with axial stack near middle and external stack at right end. Crosswing at left end, forming a T-plan, with central stack. Early C19 extension in front angle, with lean-to roof of slate. 2 C20 gabled extensions to rear, with 2 catslide extensions. C19 single-storey extension to rear right, forming a lean-to at right end, of painted brick in Flemish bond, roofed with red clay pantiles. 2 storeys. The SW elevation has a 4-window range,of early C20 sashes of 4 lights. The SE elevation has on the first floor of the crosswing one C19 casement, and on the first floor of the lean-to to right of it, one early C19 sash of 16 lights. The main range has on the ground floor 5 early C19 sashes of 16 lights and one C20 reproduction; and on the first floor 4 early c19 sashes of 4 + 8 lights with crown glass. In lean-to, C20 door in early C19 Tuscan portico with 2 columns, 2 pilasters and moulded entablature with panelled soffit. In main range, C20 door with early C19 simple architrave and canopy. The plaster is ashlared. Rusticated quoins of plaster on right return only to right of portico. Interior mainly plastered, little of frame visible except jowled posts. Axial beams boxed in. Oak panelling of c.1600. Clasped purlin roof. Bread oven at NE end. This may be the surviving part of a mansion described as 'the Greate House' in records of 1623 and 1669, but reported as a site in 1675 (J.H. Hope, 'The Knights Templars and the excavations at the Cressing Temple, 1978-1981', Essex Journal vol. 2, no. 2, Summer 1986, 31-4). RCHM 3.

Listing NGR: TL7991818724

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116395

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Essex Journal' in Essex Journal, , Vol. 2, (1986), 31-4

End of official listing