Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1168938.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:31:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 13875 40750


HELPRINGHAM HIGH STREET TF 1240-1340 (south side) 13/72 Church of St. Andrew 1/2/67 I

Parish church. c.1200, late C13, C14, C17, restored 1891. Limestone ashlar, lead and slate roofs. West tower, aisles, clerestoried nave, chancel, south porch. 3 stage C14 west tower with moulded string courses, stepped setback buttresses, plain parapet and angle pinnacles. The crocketted setback spire has flying buttresses to the base and 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes with trefoiled lights in alternating directions. To the belfry stage are large paired louvred lights, roll moulded with annular imposts, ogee heads and quatrefoils. On the west side is a doorway with 4 orders of moulding to the head supported on filleted angle shafts with annular imposts. Above is a 3 light window with curvilinear tracery forming mouchettes and daggers. In the aisles are single 2 light windows, also with curvilinear tracery. In the north wall of the north aisle is a pointed doorway with 2 orders of filleted moulding to the head and annular imposts. Above is a gablet containing a trefoil. Also there are 4 three light windows with cusped intersecting tracery and quatrefoils. The clerestorey has 4 three light windows with trefoil heads to the lights, and pointed wave moulded surrounds. Embattled parapet to nave. In the east wall of the north aisle is a 3 light window matching the rest. The chancel north wall has a lower lancet window and 2 Y traceried 2 light windows with moulded heads and human head label stops. The rebuilt east wall contains a 3 light C19 Y traceried window with C14 annular imposts. In the south wall of the chancel are 2 two light windows and a lancet matching those to the north and a pointed priest's doorway with moulded head. The south aisle has 3 light reticulated windows in hollow chamfered pointed surrounds, one to the east and 4 to the south. The clerestory matches that to the north. The gabled south porch has a pointed outer doorway with moulded octagonal imposts. Pointed and moulded inner doorway of 2 filleted orders supported on angle shafts with annular capitals. Interior: 4 bay nave arcades have filleted quatrefoil piers, annular capitals and double wave moulded arches with hoods and human head label stops. Tower arch of 3 chamfered orders supported on triple wave moulded piers with annular capitals; matching side arches. Double chamfered stilted chancel arch. In the north aisle is a trefoil headed piscina with trefoiled gablet and floriated finial, also a statue bracket supported by a grotesque figure. In the south aisle is a further piscina with a trefoil head, crocketted gablet, seaweed carving and floriate knop. Also a pointed chamfered doorway to the rood loft set in the north east angle of the aisle. In the chancel south wall is a triple sedilia with trilobed arched heads supported on round shafts with moulded annular capitals. Beyond is a trilobed piscina, all with moulded hoods and floriate stops. Fittings: C14 wooden chancel screen with cusped panel tracery to the upper lights and matching blank tracery in the lower panels, brattished top beam. C17 oak octagonal pulpit, panelled sides and moulded tester. In the nave a complete set of C17 oak pews, panelled and moulded top rails and finials. Early C13 round tub font, octagonal angle shafts, blank pointed tracery to the sides with crude Agnus Dei and foliage. In the tower an iron bound C16 chest with 3 lock plates.

Listing NGR: TF1387640751


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05638/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].