CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1169031
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169031.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:02:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Banham
National Grid Reference:
TM 06345 88220

Details

TM 06 88 BANHAM CHURCH HILL

13/29 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 16.7.58 (formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) G.V. I Parish church. First half C14. Restored 1865. Flint with ashlar dressings, lead roofs but plain tiled chancel. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Tower in 3 stages with angle buttresses. 2-light west window with Y tracery. String courses between stages running below cusped circular ringing chamber windows on north, south and west. Reduced belfry stage with rebuilt 2-light Y openings each with agargoyle over apex in low parapet. Thin broached and leaded octagonal timber spire with gabled lucarne to east. South aisle with diagonal buttresses and 2-light cusped Y tracery windows under rounded heads, some retaining head stops to hoods. South east window of 3 lights. Knapped flint south porch with gabled lead roof and diagonal buttresses enlivened by ogeed statutory niches. Double chamfered arch with fleurons below niche. 2 2-light reticulated windows east and west, those to south with 2 subsidiary units. East window of aisle is 3-light C19 reticulated. Low side window to chancel south in form of arch within gable. 3 2-light C19 reticulated windows separated by flat buttresses, the central one shorter to accommodate an early C14 priest's door with undercut mouldings. Diagonal buttresses to east frame 5-light elaborate C19 window. East gable on kneelers. One flat buttress and 2 2-light C19 reticulated windows to north chancel. 3-light north aisle east window with ogee lights and arrangement of mouchettes probably an accurate restoration or original. North aisle with diagonal corner and 3 flat buttresses with 5 2-light mouchette or reticulated windows. North door in second bay has continuous mouldings. C19 brick and flint vestry to north of tower blocks west window. 4 flat-headed 2-light cusped clerestory windows to north and south. INTERIOR 5 bay arcade of quatrefoil piers with shafts between foils. Polygonal bases and capitals support double hollow chamfered arches. Demi-octagonal tower arch responds with polygonal capitals and triple hollow chamfered arch, now blocked. Chancel arch as nave arcades. Wave moulded stilted arch opens from north-east nave chapel into chancel under square hood to side of rood stair arch which has continuous mouldings. Ogeed trefoil piscina in chapel. C19 sedilia and piscina in chancel. Low effigy niche in chancel north wall. Chancel roof scissor braced of 1865. Nave roof is of 7 bays and King post with arched struts and Queen posts to purlins. East tie beam rod moulded and crenellated. Remainder of ties probably C17 replacements, having sunk quadrant mouldings and stops. Western tie inscribed TM 1622 IC. Heavy moulded wall plates in 3 orders. Aisle roofs of ties with strut to purlins, one in south aisle inscribed IW 1802 IL, one in north JCC 1858 WG. Ogeed effigy niche in north-east chapel wave moulded with crocket and central spandrel decorated with leaf carving. Niche contains wooden cross-legged effigy of a knight painted imitation of stone of about 1340 normally regarded as representing Sir Hugh Bardolph, but he died in 1203. C14 octagonal font, plain. Font cover 1864. Pitch-pine pews 1865. Royal arms of George III on west nave wall. Chancel and parclose screen C19.

Listing NGR: TM0634588220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220276
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03355/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Colleen Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].