Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169381.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 09:07:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 92307 14292



13/103 Church of St Mary 5.4.66 GV II*

Parish church. West tower possibly C14; C15 arcade; nave and chancel largely rebuilt 1882 and 1887. Local stone rubble, chancel and nave snecked stone; slate roof. Plan: of west tower, nave 3-bay south aisle (l-bay to the chancel), south porch. Most of the details Perpendicular, fenestration largely replaced in the C19 but probably copying medieval originals. Exterior: chancel with crested ridge tiles and 3-light C19 Perpendicular medieval east window with hoodmould and carved label stops and 2 3-light Tudor arched uncusped south windows with saddle bars and stanchions, probably early C16 to the east of the porch, similar 2-light window to west of porch, the hoodmould cut off by the wall plate. Moulded priest's doorway to the east with a depressed segmental arch and probably C16 panelled door; the west window is probably C14, 2-light and traceried. Slim unbuttressed battlemented west tower with an asymmetrical 3-sided projecting north-east stair turret. Small decayed medieval west doorway probably C16. 2-light C14 Decorated west window, the tracery largely renewed. South porch with a moulded rounded restored medieval outer doorway with a hoodmould and carved label stops, remnants of angel corbel at apex of arch. The interior of the porch has a probably early C19 ceiled wagon roof with moulded ribs; moulded 3-centred C15 inner doorway with decayed stops. Interior: Plastered walls except for north wall; tall chamfered tower arch with pyramid stops; chancel arch formed by junction of nave and chancel roofs; nave roof ceiled wagon similar to porch; lower ceiled wagon roof to chancel C19 with moulded ribs and carved bosses; medieval C15 or C16 ceiled wagon to aisle with carved bosses, the braces projecting out of the plaster above the moulded wall plate. 3-bay aisle with moulded Tudor arches, piers with corner shafts and good capitals recut in the 1880s. Medieval fittings consist of a re-sited rood screen, probably early C16, of very unusual design, very tall square-headed openings with pierced spandrels, the frieze and cresting survive to the nave only. The screen has been truncated at the base and the present pulpit has been made up from another bay of the same design. Unusual circa early C16 tower screen with square-headed openings, recessed tracery panels, flush on the surface and wainscoting with chamfered muntins and crocketted ogee canopies. Plain octagonal font on chamfered stem with bar stops. C19 fittings include tiling, a late C19 blind traceried dado and plain choir stalls and benches. Stained glass. Some medieval fragments include late C15 head tracery figures in the east window of the south aisle; medieval fragments in west window of aisle filled with medieval fragments from Carhais in France assembled by Drake of Exeter in 1887 including a sketch by Drake of the original design of the glass. East window probably Burlisson and Grylls, erected 1906. Monuments include a wall monument to members of the Southcott family, memorial dates of 1630 and 1633, Doric columns and a swan necked pediment surround a kneeling figure at a prayer desk, painted portraits in roundels. Good ledger stone in east end of south aisle commemorating George Southcott, died 1654, aged 15; good cutting, armorial bearings and a memorable verse: "Under this tombstone know there lies/A dainty youth of richest price/sone gropt by death while under age/through feavers violence and rage/Earth keeps his body in restraint/But heaven ownes him for a saint/".

Listing NGR: SS9230714292


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04017/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John David Hampshire. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].