This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1169387



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stamford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193714

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 1671 ST MARTIN'S (West Side) No 70 (The George Hotel) TF 0206 1/236 TF 0306 1/236 22.5.54. II* GV 2. Front elevation of mid C18. Dated 1728 on rain-water-head). 3 storeys in ashlar, Moulded stone cornice and panelled parapet, centre containing cartouche with arms of Earl of Exeter. Stone plinth, probably earlier, 5 windows in moulded stone surrounds with triple keystones. Central round-headed arch with triple keystone over modern door Cl9 wood sign extending across the road, Remains of C17 buildings on North and to rear. Court to rear is mid C13. 3 storeys, 2 canted bay. The building stands on the site of 1 originally belonging to the Knights Hospitallers, and is a large and rambling mixture of many dates. The North elevation contains remains of 2 gables and several mullioned windows. Interior:- has been much altered, 1 Cl8 stone chimney-piece. Remains of a mediaeval hall, probably C14, including the chamfered fireplace arch and part of the screens are to be found in the gentlemen's lavatory. Includes rear premises, former stables, mainly garaging. Early C19. 2 storey in brick.

Nos 39 +o 43 (consec), Garden Wall to No 43, No 44, Wall to No 44, Nos 45 to 70 (consec), Garden Wall to Nos 68 and 69 with Burghley Almshouses form a group.

Listing NGR: TF0305106846

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 03051 06846


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169387 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 05:43:50.

End of official listing