CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1169567
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169567.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:06:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Quidenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 02840 87675

Details

TM 08 NW QUIDENHAM QUIDENHAM

7/135 Church of St. Andrew 16.7.58 II*

Parish church. Flint with ashlar dressings and machine tiled roofs. Early C11 west tower, late C11 nave remodelled late C13, south aisle late C13 rebuilt C19, early C14 chancel restored C19, north transept C19. 2 stage round tower, the lower stage C11. 2-light late C14 Perpendicular west window above remains at triangular-headed Anglo-Saxon window. 4 blocked early C11 ringing chamber windows are circular. String course below late C14 octagonal belfry stage with 2-light restored cusped panel windows, each alternate one blocked with knapped flint. Crenellated parapet with finials. Octagonal plain tiled spire 1857. C19 south aisle of knapped flint, the west window possibly late C13 reset : 2-light with cusped arches supporting cusped triangle under hood with relieving arch. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses and reset door arch below sundial. 2-light square side windows. Flushwork buttresses to aisle and 3 2-light Perpendicular windows. 2 chancel south windows 2-light with reticulation units set into substantially C19 masonry. String course above Priest's door. Diagonal east buttresses. 4-light east window with cusped lights and 2 large reticulation units in Y frame with central mouchette. One 2-light reticulated north chancel window. Gabled north transept with diagonal buttresses and 3-light north window. 2 2-light C19 Y windows to nave. Late C11 Norman north door : single order of shafts with volute capitals hinting at waterleaf, and roll moulded arch. Interior. Tall semi-circular tower arch on square imposts, the arch blocked by screen which is portion of C16 rood screen. 4 bay C19 arcade but with late C13 responds east and west : quatrefoil piers with fillets between lobes with moulded bases and capitals. Double hollow chamfered arches. Octagonal font. Boarded scissor braced nave and chancel roofs. C19 chancel arch. C19 arched and cusped sedilia and piscina in chancel with 2 similar niches flanking east window. 3 reused late C11 shafts set into chancel north walls with volute capitals. 2 memorial tablets in north chancel wall to Lord Sandys 1700 (west) and Lady Alathea Sandys 1679 (east). Curved timber Royal Arms over tower arch and poor box on turned shaft dated 1639.

Listing NGR: TM0284087675

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220382
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10863/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kevin Cleary. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].