PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1169675
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1962
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN), HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169675.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:03:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN), HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Braintree (District Authority)
Parish:
Borley
National Grid Reference:
TL 84754 43065

Details

BORLEY HALL ROAD TL 84 SW

1/53 Parish Church (Dedication 21.6.62 unknown)

GV I

Parish church. C11 with C15, C16 alterations and extensions. Flint rubble with limestone dressings. Red plain tile roof. Of Nave has a south west angle of long and short work. In north wall is a late C16 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights under a square head, a C14 window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights under a square head and a C19 window in earlier splays and with earlier rear arch. North doorway now blocked. South wall has late C14 window opening with 4 centred rear arch, and C18 timber frame. South doorway has a segmental pointed arch. Late C15 Chancel has original east window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery under a 2 centred head, the external jambs and head are moulded. North and south walls have original windows of 2 plain four centred lights under a 4 centred head. Small south doorway with 4 centred head. Late C15 Chancel arch is 2 centred of 2 moulded orders, tile inner resting on attached semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Late C15 west tower of 3 stages without string courses, embattled parapet and stair turret. String course to parapet has gargoyle in centre each side. West buttresses have quatrefoiled panels with blank shields. Tower arch is 2 centred, of 3 chamfered orders on east side, and 2 on west. Inner arches rest on semi-octagonal attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Doorway to stair turret has 4 centred head. Original west window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery under a 2 centred head. The label is moulded. Second stage has simple rectangular west window. Bell chamber has in each wall a window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights with quatrefoil under a 2 centred head, and moulded label. C16 south porch in red brick, with 4 centred arch of 2 chamfered orders. Side walls have single 4 centred lights under square heads, with moulded labels. Simple collar roof with moulded wall plates. Nave roof is C15 with king posts mounted on collars for 2 central trusses, and tie beams at ends. C15 chancel roof is of 7 cants. Monument in north wall of chancel of Hagdala, wife of John Southcote, 1598, painted tablet with kneeling figure of woman in flat head dress and ruff, flanked by Ionic columns, shield of arms above cornice. In Nave an altar tomb of Sir Edward Waldegrave and his wife Francis (Neville), 1561 and 1599 respectively. Built of clunch with painted recumbent effigies, a man in plate armour and turf and a woman in flat cap and large ruff. Crests at the feet of both effigies. Tomb has panelled sides with kneeling figures of 3 sons and 3 daughters, each with an inscription and shield of arms. Canopy with coffered soffit on 6 Corinthian columns. Cornice surmounted by cresting and achievements of arms and a shield of arms. At angles are cherubs holding cartouches of arms. C16 niches in east wall of Chancel with trefoiled heads. C15 Piscina in Chancel with plain 4 centred head. RCHM 1,

Listing NGR: TL8475443065

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
115770
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04597/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Potter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].