CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1169843
Date first listed:
16-Apr-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169843 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 07:00:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
North Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Happisburgh
National Grid Reference:
TG 37980 31152

Details

HAPPISBURGH TG 33 SE 5/34 Church of St. Mary 16.4.55 - I

Parish church. C14, rebuilt C15 (bequests dated 1469 and 1480). Restored between 1820 and 1860. Tower and south aisle damaged by enemy action 1940, restored 1949-51. Tower restored 1956-58. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Chancel roof of lead, otherwise slate. West tower, nave, aisles, chancel. 4 stage tower supported by diagonal buttresses with flushwork panelling, standing on plinth with arcade of trefoil niches and cusped wavy mouldings. Moulded west doorway with jambs decorated by shields below square hood in the spandrels of which are encircled quatrefoils bearing shields and mouchettes. 5-light transomed west window with Perpendicular tracery. Square traceried ventilation panels to ringing chamber. 3-light belfry windows below flushwork traceried crenellated parapet. Aisles have stepped side buttresses, diagonal to corners. West end of south aisle retains roof line of abutting structure and blocked lower window. 3-light window over roof line. South porch flush with west wall of aisle. Diagonal stepped buttresses. Arched doorway heavily moulded below square hood with spandrels decorated by encircled quatrefoils and other devices. Above is cusped statuary niche flanked by lancets looking into parvis. 2-light ground floor windows to east and west and lancets to first floor. Crenellated parapet. 4 3-light Perpendicular aisle windows north and south, all with renewed tracery. 5 2-light clerestory windows of modified C15 Y tracery design. South side has crenellated parapets, north has no crenellations and 3 buttresses rebuilt in brick. Blocked north aisle door. 3-light panel traceried aisle east and west windows, except south aisle west. 3-light square-headed east nave gable window. Chancel with one stepped buttress north and south and diagonal east buttresses, all with flushwork. 2 3-light renewed Perpendicular south chancel windows and arched priests' door. 3-light C19 east window. North chancel wall disfigured by 2 blocked arched windows below 2 blocked 2-light clerestory windows. Interior. Timber vault to south porch in form of hollow and roll moulded arched braces rising from wall posts to meet at central boss of 4 Green Men. Subsidiary cross purlins similarly moulded. Cusped Holy water stoup to right of inner doorway. 5 bay C15 octagonal arcade with one eastern respond surviving from C14. Moulded capitals and bases. Double hollow chamfered arches. C19 nave roof of arched braces dropping to wall posts. Short King posts to ridge piece. Arched braced aisle roofs of similar date and design. Tower arch mouldings are double wave and casement with semi- circular responds and polygonal capitals. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch springs from wall corbels. Much restored C15 screen of 3 bays right and left of arched central opening. Each bay divided into 2 cusped lights supporting intricate display of openwork tracery of undecided stylistic content. South nave aisle wall with rectangular niche under 3 miniature vaulted canopies. C15 octagonal font. Against stem alternating figures of wild men and lions below traceried freize. Angel heads support bowl, which has alternating panels of angels with musical instruments and the 4 symbols of the Evangelists. Chancel south wall retains remains of 2 bay arcade of C14 date : octagonal pier and arches. C19 chancel roof of arched braces. C14 ogeed and crocketed piscina with top finial, all on short engaged columns with heads as capitals.

Listing NGR: TG3798031152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
224249
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].