Church of All Saints


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Coast Road, Walcott, Norwich, NR12 0PD


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1169916.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 08:41:00.


Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Coast Road, Walcott, Norwich, NR12 0PD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 36058 31754


TG 33 SE 5/53

HAPPISBURGH WALCOTT Coast Road Church of All Saints



Parish church. C15 and C16 (bequests for construction recorded as follows: 1427 nave, 1453 and 1474 tower, 1467 porch, 1534 to "covering the church"). Restored 1854-77 by R.M. Phipson. Flint (Quaternary and Quarry Flint) with Lincolnshire Limestone and Bath stone ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower, nave and chancel.

Three stage tower supported by diagonal buttresses. Tower plinth decorated with flushwork trefoiled arcade. Arched west door with wave mouldings below square hood. Carved spandrels. Four-light west window with Perpendicular tracery. String courses between storeys. Square ringing chamber ventilation holes with openwork tracery wheels. Two-light quatrefoiled belfry windows. Flushwork crenellated parapet with stepped merlons. Tower stairs to south east. Buttresses emphasised by chequered flushwork at junctions with tower. Angle buttresses to west end of nave, stepped side buttresses to flanks. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses emphasised by chequered flushwork as tower. Moulded arched doorway. Wrought iron porch gates by Fitt and Parke of Stalham, mid C19, with arrowhead finials to verticals. Inner doorway moulded with waves and hollows. Arched side lights. Arched north door with double wave moulded jambs, as have the three three-light Perpendicular nave windows to each side. Stepped side buttresses to chancel separate two two-light mouchette windows. Arched priests' door to south. Window jambs moulded as nave. Diagonal east buttresses. Four-light Flowing east window by Phipson.

Interior. Double wave and hollow moulded tower arch with semi-circular responds on polygonal bases and capitals. Similar chancel arch responds carrying hollow and keeled roll moulded arch. C15 screen of three bays right and left of ogeed central opening. Lights to bays ogeed and cusped below rising tracery mullions. C13 Purbeck marble octagonal font with two arches to each facet of bowl. Bowl supported on central shaft and eight columns (one missing) of later date. C19 nave roof of principals on arched braces and two tiers staggered taper-tenoned butt purlins. Chancel roof similar but with one tier purlins. Sedilia and piscina in chancel of cusped and sub-cusped arches under square hood.

Listing NGR: TG3605831754


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 19 February 2020 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2005
Reference: IOE01/11300/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].