Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170243.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:09:33.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TG 33104 31574


WITTON BACTON ROAD TG 33 SW 4/108 Church of St. Margaret 16.4.55 - I

Parish church. Late Cll west tower, nave and chancel. Nave and chancel remodelled early C14 when south aisle and clerestory added. Tower partly rebuilt 1808, major restoration 1875 and numerous alterations throughout C19. Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Nave and aisle roofs of lead, chancel of slate. Undivided round tower. One triangular-headed lancet below altered C15 2-light belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. At west ends of Cll nave original quoins remain. 3-light C19 south aisle west window. Diagonal corner buttresses to aisle and side buttresses to flank. Aisle restored 1859 when windows replaced. Gabled south porch entered through hollow chamfered arch. Hollow and roll moulded inner doorway. Partly blocked pointed side lancets. 3 2-light cusped aisle windows with reticulation unit over trefoil lights. One Y tracery 2-light window to west of these. 3-light C19 aisle east window. South clerestory faced with knapped flint and brick. 6 2-light Y tracery windows with brick relieving arches north and south altered C15 and restored C19. Chancel supported by diagonal eastern buttresses and one side buttress to north and south. One 3-light and one 2-light C19 reticulated south chancel windows. 3-light chancel east window of 1860 with Geometrical forms. On north side one 2-light C19 window. 2 renewed 2-light square-headed Perpendicular north nave windows and 3 splayed circular Cll windows below the level of present clerestory. That to east remains only as a trace in masonry and is cut by later Perpendicular insertion. C19 gabled north vestry over doorway. Interior. 5 bay octagonal south arcade on moulded bases and with polygonal capitals supporting double chamfered arches. Double chamfered early C14 tower arch on semi-circular responds. Double chamfered C19 chancel arch on polygonal responds. Squared interior tower stairs to south-east of tower entered through a 4-centred doorway with hood mould on labels. C15 nave roof of moulded principals dropping on arched braces to moulded wall posts. Further arched braces rise to wall plate. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Boarded ashlaring. C18 south aisle roof of principals on arched braces and wall posts. One tier taper-tenoned butt purlins. 4 C18 box pews in aisle. 2 of Cll north circular windows splayed into interior. 31 mutilated late C15 poppyhead bench ends. C13 sedilia of 2 pointed arches with dog tooth decoration : supporting columns on waterholding bases and with capitals. Also in chancel a simple trefoiled piscina, just utilising ogee forms. C19 arched braced chancel roof. C14 octagonal font with traceried stem and panelled bowl, each panel decorated with encircled quatrefoils. Chancel wall monument to John Norris 1734 : Corinthian pilasters support pediment and frame inscription panel; apron below with coat of arms. To left a monument to Elizabeth Norris 1769 of asymmetrical design. 2 block entablatures stand on consoles and terminate swept apron. On one entablature stands a cherub holding diagonally placed oval inscription panel. On other stands 4 books : Shakespeare, Sterne, Sherlock and the Bible). Half of a segmental pediment at top on which stands an urn.

Listing NGR: TG3310431574


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10474/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].