Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1170439

Date first listed: 06-Mar-1959

Statutory Address: THE SLIPPER CHAPEL


Ordnance survey map of THE SLIPPER CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1170439 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 03:16:05.


Statutory Address: THE SLIPPER CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Barsham

National Grid Reference: TF9209535333


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TF 93 NW 2/20




Chapel. Roman Catholic. Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Mid C14 style. Decorated wayside chapel, restored 1904 by Thomas Garner, architect, and re-opened for regular worship in 1934. Flint walls with stone dressings and tiled roof of (Stone slates). West front with diagonally set buttresses, door and two niches; decorated 3-light window above with tracery inside recticulated framing, flanked by ogee headed niches with C20 statues; gable with central niches and two diagonally placed turrets. Fleuron-banded parapets to returns, with on south two 2-light Decorated windows. West window and west gable of 1904. Interior of three bays with restored C15 Perpendicular type arched braced roof. Furnishings mainly of 1934 by Miss Lillian Dagless, under the direction of Monseigneur Squirrel : the pedestal and spirelet to the statue (of 1954), altar and reredos. East window 1954 by Geoffrey Webb, Comper style and colouring. Arched tester over the altar. Corridor to north with sacristy and Chapel of the Holy Ghost (1938). Monseigneur Bruno Scott-James as architect; stone altar with gilt reredos; tester removed.

Listing NGR: TF9209535333


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 223507

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing